TheBanyanTree: 4 Down 1 to go

Russ Doden russ.doden at gmail.com
Wed May 27 11:04:17 PDT 2009

Or the continuing saga of a RenFaire Junkie.

This has been a most unusual year this year.  Here in NE Oklahoma, over the
past 6 weeks there have been something like 30 days of rain.  Rain has been
the plague of the fair this year, and the past weekend continued in the same
vein.  Not "Where is the Ark" kind of rains but still, wet ground, wet sky
and wet patrons (and performers).

Friday night when I arrived at the grounds, it looked promising.  Clear
skies and a hope that the forecast of 50% chance of rain all weekend was
wrong.  Well, it was a hope anyhow!  Saturday morning dawned partly cloudy
and warmish.  Huzzah, let's hope it stays that way.  As the morning
progressed, clouds moved in and about 2:45 it started a light rain.  Many
fled the grounds - I guess they were afraid they would melt or something.
Those that stayed were treated to much fun and games because we KNEW they
were there to have fun and weren't about to let a little rain dampen their
spirits.  Before the rains came though the crowds were good and people were
having fun every where you looked.  Once again I loaned my camera to a
friend for her to wander around and take pictures.  There is so much going
on, it is impossible to see it all, and as a performer, our schedule leaves
little room for wandering about.

Sunday was a repeat of Saturday with less rain.  The skies looked like they
were going to come unzipped at any moment, but only a light rain fell for
less than an hour.  This time there were no signs of distant thunder
either.  Since the crowds were light, the "insanity" that seems to be an
occupational hazard was seen to be creeping out here and there.  Cast and
Performers were having fun in the lanes, and the visitors were treated to
many unexpected events.  There are two stilt walkers there as well as a
couple that does the kind of thing you would ordinarily only see at some
place like Cirque Solet (sp).  They had a baby this past year and she is
getting "back in shape" with her performance.  They are good enough that
they were encouraged to audition for Cirque Soliet and one of the members of
their troup is now with the Cirque Soliet troup!  Anyhow, the stilt walkers
were talking with the people from "Wrapsody" while the Wrapsody folks were
on their trapeze. - talking to them eye to eye.  It looked rather strange.
A while later, after their show, I walked by and saw the stilt walkers were
back at Wrapsody's spot.  One was holding the baby, and the other was
bending over and playing with the tot.  Bear in mind they were on stilts!
Mom and dad were beaming with pride.  It was a "Kodak moment".  There are
many such moments every day.

That night was the "cast party" and a fine party it was.  Food was provided
by the management as was the DJ.  We "old farts" had planned to go off in a
distant corner and have our own jamm session as we do at the party every
year.  We get off to the side and play folk and rock from the 60's and 70's
and have a great time.  Sometimes the "kids" find us and abandon their party
to come listen to the "old farts" sing and play.  This year, as we were
gathering for our little sub-party, the clouds blew in and brought the rains
with them.  It was a scramble.  By the time I got to the camp ground it was
starting to rain pretty good.  I gathered that the serious partiers stayed
till told to leave, but many of us were in need of rest anyhow.

Memorial Day was overcast and the air was heavy.  Few people were at the
gate for opening, but those there were more than just entertained.  For us
it was a special day too because every year over Memorial Day, the noon
parade is changed for that one day.  Behind the US flag were the flags of
the 5 branches of the armed services.  Everyone there that was a vet,
without regard to them being part of the cast, a performer, or a patron, was
encouraged to line up behind the flag of their branch.  People who wanted to
honor family members who were no longer with them were encouraged to join
too.  At the head of the parade was a piper and drummer, then the flags
and vets, then the "Royalty" of the Faire, then the performers and cast and
representatives of the vendors.  It is a chance for everyone to see most all
the cast and is kind of a tradition at most faires.  Anyhow, we were all
walking along, not talking much - most of us were kind of choked up I
guess.  I know I was.  Then suddenly the piper and drummer stopped playing.
Al you heard was the "cromp cromp cromp" of the vets, marching along - in
step.  Not a random patter of feet, but a marching cadence, with everyone in
step.  Oh boy, it got to a lot of us.  I heard the lady walking beside me
mutter "I hope they start playing again, because I'm going to lose
it soon."  I glanced over and it was our Queen.  A bit later, as we were
crossing a small wooden bridge, the same thing happened.  All you heard was
the "cromp cromp cromp" of the vets marching.  I think we all started to
lose it at that point.  When we got to the end of the parade, the flags were
off to the side, and all the Vets were encouraged to gather around the
Maypole area.  The King then made a nice speech, then asked for a moment of
silence.  So many people were there, but you heard the birds, the sound of
distant traffic, and way down at the far end of the grounds, the sounds of
where the games for the children were.  Over a thousand people and not a one
was making any noise.  If that didn't get to you, you had a hole in your
soul.  When it was all over, and we prepared to play for the post parade
performance at that location, I was worthless.  There were enough other
performers there that it didn't make any difference, but it took me a couple
songs to get it back together again.

All to soon, the day came to a close.  As we were loading our stuff up, the
skies opened up for a brief final washing.  The rains had held off all day
so we were grateful for that.

This coming weekend marks the last weekend of The Castle at Muskogee for
another year.  The last day is traditionally a bit "weird" so it will be
interesting to see what happens.  Also the forecast is for clear skies.  Oh
boy, I can't wait.

Your humble scribe
Andruss of the Bedlam Bards

Ps.  After one of our performances, we were asked by a person from the
audience if we would be interested in performing for the USO some time.  We
will see what happens with that, but we told them that we would be honored.
I'm hoping it happens.  I have fond memories of USO shows coming to where we
were in the 60's and would feel like I was repaying a debt to them.  They
were associated with the USO, and were going to talk to their management
about it.  I'm trying to not get my hopes up.  - Andruss