TheBanyanTree: Missing Those Declarations

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Tue May 12 09:32:45 PDT 2009

As a boy one of the highlights of our family's often practiced habit of
taking a "Sunday Drive" was a chance to visit odd and/or "unique" relatives.

As a boy Aunt Addie and Uncle Archie qualified as both. They also
qualified as entertaining. Thus my fascination with them.

They lived "deep" in the Sandhills.  "Deep" afforded the privacy they
desired. Well, at least Archie desired that privacy in that one of his
means of income was slightly on the illegal side:  bottles of homemade
corn liquor without a tax stamp attached.

Archie was a farmer who grew grain crops. Most of his grain was grown
for feed. Some of it though he saved for "liquid" purposes.  They say he
was born in and was buried in a pair of overalls.

His tractor made a great toy and I spent many an afternoon fiddling
around on it.  He never complained when I left it out of gear, the
throttle jammed up into  "Max", or the front wheels askew from
pretending to drive it all over hell's half acre.  He was smart enough
to not leave the key in it and that was sufficient to prevent chaos.
"Young'us is borned with a 'nachal curiosity and a powerful good
imagination," he'd say when my parents apologized for their son's rude
behavior. Archie knew children well.

He didn't say much when he and Addie were together. Addie could talk
enough for the both of them.  She was a woman of declarations.

Uncle Archie knowing children's curiosity and imagination so well, if he
wanted to entertain my sisters and I he knew he could his best
"entertainment" value from taking out his teeth.  My youngest sister,
the baby, would always laugh and laugh.  I'd think it was a neat trick
and wish I could "shock" my neighbors with my own set of false teeth.
My middle sister wondered if it hurt to have all your teeth pulled and
my oldest sister would just be repelled in horror.

"Arch, if you do that again, I declare I'm gonna' send you up Dry Creek
without a paddle!," Aunt Addie would say with a smile on her face.  Then
she'd roll her eyes back in her head and sigh. After a long pause, she'd
look at us and say, "I do declare, I don't know who the bigger kid is in
this h'ere house, the baby, or your Uncle Archie!"

Addie made the best chocolate layer cake that ever passed between two
gums. Picture this: a chocolate cake had at least 7 thin layers with
homemade chocolate cocoa icing layers between each cake layer as least
as thick as each individual cake layer.  All this packed in a normal
height cake.  There was enough sugary, chocolaty goodness there to make
one swoon at first bite.

It was so good that it makes my mouth water at the thought of it now
over 50 years later (and so "bad" for you that it should have been as
illegal as Archie's moonshine) To be fortunate enough to eat a piece of
it was the height of the trip.  And Addie always made sure we got a
piece, with a glass of fresh, full-cream-in cow's milk to wash it down.
  When we'd rave about her cake, she modestly say, "I declare, it aint
all that. It's just a recipe that my momma showed me when I was a young'un."

Aunt Addie prided herself with keeping up with what the neighbors were
up to (although she didn't want them to know a thing about what she and
"Arch" were doing, of course)  And boy did she!  "That 14 year old
Mayfield girl down Black Slough Road done went and got in a family
way,"(she'd pause and then lean forward toward my mother and whisper the
rest) "and word is the pappy is a 40 year old no-count down t'wixt Alta
and Blountstown.  That's shameful and despicable, I do declare!"

She got her world news from "The Grit" and the radio.  They didn't have
a television -- that "one-eyed demon of lust and falsehood that didn't
belong in a proper family's house".

She was a world of knowledge on matters practical, weird, and trivial.
She'd pepper most sentences with a "I declare / I do declare" for both
emphasis and to denote things difficult to believe.   In the course of
our afternoon visits she did a lot of declaring, that's for sure.  And
she did it in such a loving, easy manner that you couldn't help but love
her for it (that and her chocolate cake, that is)

In our cookie cutter USA today of "same speak" so influenced by that old
one-eyed demon that she spoke of years ago, I so miss her uniqueness,
her humor, her manner of speech that I loved to listen to as a child on
those long Sunday drives.  She's gone now, of course, succumbed to
cancer in her early 50s.

Now an adult, what I wouldn't give now for a taste of Archie's elixir.
Was it as good as some said?  And what I wouldn't give for a generous
slice of Aunt Addie's chocolate layer cake. Add to that a short spell of
conversation around the fireplace, sitting in cowhide backed rockers,
Aunt Addie spitting snuff in the fireplace expounding on the neighbor's
sins, her unique view of life, and taking in her manifold declarations.

And who knows?  If it could all be possible again . . .

   maybe Archie would take his teeth out again too!