TheBanyanTree: 2 down 3 to go

Russ Doden russ.doden at gmail.com
Mon May 11 08:21:47 PDT 2009

Well, another weekend at Castle Ren Faire is behind me.  Another wet
weekend.  Anorther weekend of laughter.  Another weekend of what for some is
a waste of time, but for many of us is tiime well spent.  They guys I'm
performing with are pushing my eneloipe and drawing me out more all the
time.  This weekend they conned me into working some real vocals in - then
told me that next year I will HAVE to do at least one song as lead singer.
YIKES.  I know my voice is  . . . less thatn great shall we say.  Plus, I
know that for some reason, I can remember chords or words, but putting both
in my head is like putting oil and watter together.

The weekend started with a real downpour late Friday eve.  It didn't last
long, but what it lacked in duration it made up for with quantity.  At least
it was not during the day the next day!  The next morning dawned with a ray
of hope for dry weather.  Cool but hopeful.  As people were trudging in from
the campground, we were all commenting on the prior evenings rain and how
the sky looked like it may give us a break.  At "morning meeting" we were
informed that the weather was "iffy" but to do as much as possilbe.

They do a neat thing over Mothers Day Weekend at The Castle.  The Knights
and the Royal Guard hand out carnations to all the Mothers that come through
the gates.  It is kind of neat to see all these ladies walking around with
carnations .  Some carry them all day, others put them in their hair, Others
tuck them in the bodice - or the modern equivelant.  It is kind of neat
watching the reactoins too as they receive their flower.

During the "assembled company" dance set at opening, I broke two strings on
my 12 string guitar.  They broke in the same song!  In the same verse -
about 8 bars apart!  I thught to myself, "Self, it is going to be one of
those days." but they were the last strings I broke the whole weekend!

During out 11:00 set, it started to rain.  We ducked back into the bit of
shelter behind us, but the people that were there, stayed and either ignored
the damp or opened up their umbrella, or pulled their cloak up, or dug out
other rain gear.  What could have been a discouraging set, turned out to be
a fun one.  That also turned out to be the last real "rain" of the day too.
A few sprinkles here and there came down over the rest of the day, but no
real rain.  It is almost unheard of to have this much rain for so many days
in a row.   We can tell teh attendance is way down.  Those that are there
though are having fun!

The rest of the day was spent in its usual frantic fashion, going from set
to set and talking to people in the lanes between sets. I still find it
strange that pepole come up to me wanting my augograph, or wanting to have
their picture taken with me.  One gal came up to us after a set and had an .
. . interesting request for autograph.  She was a . . . rather well endowed
lady and handed us a Sharpie pen and wanted each of us to autograph her
ceavage.  Ever tried to write on jiggling water ballons?  Very strange
indeed.  Strange but fun!  Considering that the sun came out later in the
day, I saw her at the pub sing that evening and she was developing a rather
interesting "bodice burn."  When the ink washes off, I bet she has
autographs of about 8 people in white against a red background!  I think
that was her intention!  People do strange things sometimes.

That night was the "Masked Ball" where the assembled musicins provide the
music.  We played from about 6:45 till about 9:45 with 3 brief breaks.  That
is still so much fun that nobody complains about it.  It is also fun
watching the visitors having so much fun interacting with the cast.  Again,
during the breaks, there are always a few people who come up and want to
talk to their favorite musicians.  Again having my own little "moment in the
sun" seems strange.  At the end of the Masked Ball, the owner of The Castle
puts on a Fireworks display.  Not just 10 or 12 things, but about 10 minutes
where the sky over the Castle if filled with "sky flowers."  I have seen
some shows where the finale isn't as impressive as this show!  After all
that it is time to walk back out to the campground and crash for the next
day will start way too soon.

It did rain again Saturday night, but not bad, just enough to keep
everything wet.  Sunday morning dawned with heavy mist and cool air.
Another day of fighting the weather.  Like a dummy I left my cloak in the
trailer, thinking it would all blow away or burn off.  Well, it didn't and I
was wishing I had my cloak all day long!  I could have walked back out to
the campground but figured I could "get by" without it.  I just didn't want
to make that walk!   Sunday was pretty much a repeat of Saturday.  People
having fun in spite of the rain, playing our hearts out, and visiting with
people who are just having so much fun.

Soon enough the day was over and it was time to head home.  It had started a
heavy mist duirng the closing ceremonies and as the evening progressed the
mist got heavier and heavier.  On the drive home - it was enough to need the
wipers on steadily.  I was glad to be in a dry place!

Driving home after a weekend of being on foot all the time is a strange
experience in itself.  The first few minutes seem kind of "odd" to be moving
without doing anything.  It takes a while to get back in the mindset that is
needed away from faire.  Modern clothes feel funny at first, driving seems
strange, and so many other little things that we take for granted seem
"unusual" - even though we know they are normal.  Getting back in the
mindset of work requires effort.

Two weekends are now past and 3 are left to go.  My countdown clock to next
Friday when I can leave work and start the insanity all over again is
counting - and not counting near fast enough!

Your humble scribe
Andruss of The Bedlam Bards