TheBanyanTree: how boys do mother's day

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Sun May 10 06:56:13 PDT 2009

One might wish for a daughter from time to time to share girl things
with, but, honestly, it's hard to beat teen boys for truly heart-felt
displays of affection--once you get used to their ways.  You have to
look a little harder for the diamonds is all.  For mother's day or
birthdays, I always tell them: don't spend money on me--just make me
something or do something for me.  Really.  Let's keep it real boys.
Seth has no money and Andy has gas and car insurance and some college
expenses to pay for.

So Seth (fifteen) washed a big sink full of pots and pans for me last
night.  I had to strongly suggest that that would be the perfect
mother's day gift, and he protested, but he did do it, and it was nice
to wake up to an empty sink this morning.  He worked on a card, but
that did not materialize.  Crafting is not his thing.

When rolled out to make coffee this morning, Andy (eighteen) had left
me a lovely rose in a glass of water, and a note that said, "Happy
Mother's Day....another gift upstairs."  It came, he said, from "the
place you go when you decide to buy a rose at two in the morning."
Then  he insisted that I walk up the stairs with my eyes closed.  At
the top of the stairs was my gift: at two in the morning last night,
which is when he came in from being out with friends, he had patched
the big hole he had punched in the drywall during a fit of anger.  And
in his room, another big hole with another patch.  (Eighteen has been a
tough year for the kid who has never given me a moment's trouble up to
this point ;)  I gave him a big hug.

Back in the kitchen, I had an empty Cabernet bottle on the counter, and
the rose's glass looked a bit short, so I said, "Hey, I'll put the rose
in the wine bottle.  That will look nice."  Seth came back with, "Or
trashy.  We'll just have to see."  Good point.  Teen boys pretty much
call it like they see it.  Another plus on mother's day or any day.  If
you prepare to walk out of the house in something stupid, they will
tell you.  If your last hair cut was less than attractive, they will
not varnish the truth.

And that, my friends, is the way teen boys express love--dishes, roses,
drywall patches, much humor and always many hugs.

Julie