TheBanyanTree: Enamored with the Milk of a Tiger

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Mon May 4 13:25:58 PDT 2009

While in Costa Rica I was told that some of the best chefs in the
world are from Peru.  That was news to me.

But from my two dining experiences at local restaurants near the work
locations we had to visit, I'd find it hard to argue with our Costa
Rican business associate's opinion.

Our first visit was to Sambukka, a local restaurant in Lima.  We had
the recommendation of our Peruvian business associates.  The
highlight of the meal?   Ceviche!

This was ceviche from the source, no, it was ceviche from the gods
that we ate.  (I know that because we ordered Ceviche in several of
the other countries we visited on the continuation of the trip and
nothing else  -- whether in Argentina, Uruguay or Chile -- came
remotely close to the ceviche that we had back-to-back in two
separate restaurants in two days while in Lima.)

What made the ceviche more than outstanding at these locations was at
least two things:  it had to have been made from fish that was so
fresh it surprised me that it wasn't still flapping when they brought
it to our table (it was corvina, by the way)  And second,  what
indubitably must be the world's best "leche de tigre".

I'm thinking that no where else on earth (well, at least at this
present time) is there anything that compares to the leche de tigre
that local Peruvian chefs know how to concoct.  For the real lover of
leche de tigre our hosts recommended a small glass of the elixir to
drink solo.  Me?  Well, after having ceviche the first day, then
again on the second, let's just say that I was so enamored of the
combination of tastes in the ceviche and the tiger's milk that I
drank my whole glass, along with that in the plate of ceviche. (If I
had been home, behind closed doors I probably would have licked the
plate too)

God willing, if I ever get the chance to return to beautiful Peru,
three things I plan on not missing:

	Machu Picchu

	the Amazon headwaters

	Ceviche

I want to take the train from Lima to Cuzco when the festival is on
(3rd week in June, if I remember correctly) and then take the trip up
to Machu Picchu.  I'll take some ceviche on the way on the train, in
Cuzco, and the good Lord willing in Machu Picchu as well.

I want to sit around a campfire in Amazon headwaters and eat ceviche
and plantains and wash it all down with good Peruvian beer and finish
it all off with a Leche Asada.

And last of all I want to go back to Lima and to its sections named
Larcomar and Miraflores and sample some more of Peru's wonderful
foods, along with, yes, you guessed it, Ceviche!

Oh, yeah.  It's easy to become enamored with the milk of a tiger,
especially when the tiger's from Peru.