TheBanyanTree: sad day

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 09:20:42 PDT 2009

When, oh when, will I learn.  Never get two dog the same age.

I had to take Puck to be euthanized today.  He's been doing ok with whatever the ailment
was - something in his back, probably the spondylosis.  He's been on steroids for more than
three months, and they were helping, though he was slowly but steadily getting worse.  He
wasn't in pain, just having a lot of trouble getting his feet and legs to do what he wanted.

Last night he 'crashed'.  Couldn't get up at all. He wanted to eat, but couldn't support himself
to stand over the bowl, and didn't want to eat it from the floor.  He did drink a litte water from
a tiny bowl I put in front of him, but that was it.  I took him out in the snow to see if he
needed to pee, but he couldn't keep from toppling over face first.  After watching him
snowplow twice, I just brought him in and put his little doggy diaper on him.  That way if he
leaked, he could stay clean.  We let him sleep out in the living room on his little bed.

This morning, I found him flat out at the edge of the kitchen floor.  I lifted him over to the
water, and held him while he took a small drink.  Then I put him back on the carpet.

I called the vet, and they told me to bring him right over.  I held him as Dr. B injected the
magic pink medicine.  Puck took a big breath, and slowly sank down on the table in my
arms.

He was such a good dog.  We'll miss him.  But he's much happier now, chasing Ziggy
around on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

--
Laura
wolfljsh at gmail.com
http://wolfsinger.wordpress.com