TheBanyanTree: Hominid Lawnmower Blues

Mike Pingleton pingleto at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 20:13:20 PDT 2009

there’s a monkey in my brainstem and he’s making me mow my lawn
a monkey in my brainstem and he’s got me out here cutting my lawn
I may be in the driver’s seat but I’m still just a monkey’s pawn

the high grass hides the hunter, hides the leopard that I can’t see
high grass hides the hunter, a big cat out there I can’t see
and he’d make a kill and eat his fill of me up in my apple tree

so I’m out here every saturday, mowing for the monkey in my brain
I’m cutting grass all saturday, to pacify the primate in my brain
and my little patch of heaven looks a lot like Serengeti plain

there’s a dark wind from Africa, blowing in the corners of my mind
a dark old wind from Africa, stirring buried shadows in my mind
and it raises ancient urges in a million other monkeys of my kind

it’s a warm summer evening but I’ll ride this mower to the dawn
it’s a warm summer evening and I just keep rolling ‘til dawn
and when I get to Africa I’ll mow that effing monkey’s front lawn.