TheBanyanTree: Wah-lah it's Magic

Sherry Lester mamalester at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 04:55:01 PST 2009

Positively Magical
S. Lester

I’ve noticed some people are trying to be more
positive these days.  I think it’s a good idea and
even though I’m a basically positive person, there are
a few things that test my cheerful disposition.  One
is finding an empty toilet paper roll on the wall next
to me.
	I used to be of the opinion that people who used the
last bit of toilet paper and did not replace it with a
new roll were self-centered, inconsiderate,
thoughtless schmucks who, by that one action, or lack
of, no longer deserved the same degree of respect as
my fellow human beings who replaced the empty roll
with a new one for the next sitter.  Finding myself in
situations where I have been consequenced by their
shoddy humanitarianism, I would mumble and grumble and
ruin whatever good nature I’d previously had as I
begrudgingly refilled the holder with a full roll, if
I could find one.  But I’ve decided to change my mind
and look at them a different way, more positively.
	Now I don't look at people who do not replace the
empty toilet paper roll as self-centered,
inconsiderate, thoughtless schmucks at all.  They just
still believer in magic.  How wonderful!  Santa
Clause, the Tooth Fairy and the Toilet Paper Puck!
Why not?  It’s empty; they go away.  They come back;
it’s full.  Wah-lah.  Magic!
	So I will no longer become annoyed when I find an
empty toilet paper roll in the bathroom.  I will see
it as my opportunity to continue to keep a little
magic in the world and smile to myself knowing that it
is me, the Toilet Paper Puck, who is helping to make
the world a better place.  Shucks, there’s plenty of
other things to get upset about.