TheBanyanTree: catching a thermal

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Wed Feb 18 07:39:24 PST 2009

A hundred or so Turkey Vultures moved onto my street, behind my
neighbor's house where there are some very old trees and a thicket of
undergrowth.  They roost in large community groups and often stick to a
certain spot for some time--they've been there, now, since early
Autumn.  They feed on carrion, and I have to say the roads in our area
have been exceptionally clean of small dead creatures this winter.
They are gruesome looking when hunched over on their branches, these
two-feet-or-taller birds with their wrinkly naked heads and creepy,
crooked beaks.  A fine homecoming to Blue Bird Lane dwellers on a
gloomy winter evening.  But in flight, they are a different matter all
together.  They have a five foot wingspan with a beautiful fringe of
silvery flight feathers on the underside of their brown-black wings.
Watching ten or twenty of them ride thermals over the tall pines, over
the snowy landscape--gliding, still, unflapping--is the essence of calm
beauty.  They lack the normal vocal organs of a bird, and so they don't
screech or call out.  They simply float, silently, with their silver
fringe fluttering in the breeze.

I was watching them one day, and a thought occurred to me.  These
creatures are so beautiful when they are doing what they do
best--flying, floating, circling on an invisible current of air.  They
are so lovely and free looking, even more so than their frantically
flapping, tiny friends who are blessed with comely breast feathers and
melodic voices.  And then my train of thought continues:  When do I
look that free?  What am I doing when, if observed unawares, I am a
shining, peaceful thing?  When do I slip out of everything physically
unbeautiful about myself?   I know that when I'm elbow deep in pots and
mulch and dirt and new plants, I am free.  When I'm picking basil and
chives in my garden, chopping fresh veggies from the market, and a warm
summer evening is coming in the windows, I feel glowing.  When I am
walking in the woods through filtery sunlight, or making love to my
husband, I am floating on my own personal warm current.

Julie