TheBanyanTree: a gardening tip <g>

Sachet MountainWhisper at att.net
Fri Dec 4 20:56:15 PST 2009

I was so excited when I ordered all of my spring bulbs during the
summer.

As I thought of all the beautiful flowers that would magically pop up
once winter loosed its hold on the ground, I could so clearly picture
them in my mind....
Abundant Allium, vibrantly colorful Anemone, dainty mini-Crocus and
splendorous Narcissus, plus one Dahlia from Chelsea's yard.

At the time, the plan was for bulbs to make my gardening endeavors much
easier. What didn't occur to me then, was how much work it is to
plant them. (Which is why I have procrastinated so long.) But.... yesterday
when I read the forecast and saw that we are under a Winter Storm
Warning, I knew the time to dig had arrived.

I ran up against more delays since I had to work this morning, stayed a
bit later to finish a snowflake project (yeah, tough project <g>), got
home and spent necessary time with my canine entourage - feeding,
playing, walking; then wrote a term paper and by that time it was dark.
Not that this stops me from planting anything. I love the night. Last
spring
I talked Jim into planting 19 saplings with me after dark, with the
light of a
camping lantern. We had such fun together. It was so peaceful and relaxing.
Our neighbors probably think I am a wee bit eccentric. :-)

So tonight, I put on my ski bibs and jacket (since it's very cold out) and
got busy with my bulb planting project. As does tend to happen with me, I
got distracted with a few other gardening projects...weeding here, there
and everywhere, tucking bales of straw around my butterfly bushes, the
saplings and my Irish Moss, raking the last of the leaves into piles,
carrying piles of
branches to the woods....just whatever caught my eye. Finally, I decided
I needed to actually do what I had originally came outside to do and
gathered my supplies. One key gardening tool that I had not realized I
had was the professional hole digger. I was going to use my trusty
shovel, and sighed because this was the part that would be the work I
wasn't all that enthused about doing. But..... to my delighted
amazement, Cissy enthusiastically decided that she needed to help. I
pointed to where I needed holes dug, told her to dig and voila! Instant
bulb holes appeared in mere seconds, just the depth I needed, with
lovely loose soil to cover them with, plus it was hilarious fun to watch
her have such a
blast digging.

Spring bulb planting is actually very, very easy when you have the right
digging tool. <g>