TheBanyanTree: My voice from the past.

Carolyn bluenosr at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 2 15:52:52 PDT 2009

The College: Acadia University
The date: May 9, 1957

It's a beautiful day here at the college.  It's about 70° and there's a
lovely warm wind blowing - stiff enough to blow and scatter your papers
for miles.  It's late in the morning, and I am stretched out on a blanket,
with my papers spread about me, down on the hill below University
Hall...that white, majestic building, towering over us with it's proud
traditions.

Below me stretches the campus covered with early spring grass and tall
stalwart trees.  Behind many of them are students, like myself, trying to
study and drink in this balmy weather of wind and sun.

On the hill just above me is a boy stretched out on his back,
contemplating all manner of wonderful things as he looks up at the blue.
Down on the driveway are workers planting new fir trees, just a couple
of feet high.  All is nearly ready for graduation 1957, next week.

Sounds are many here today.  The birds are singing to their hearts'
content; cars and trucks are wizzing past on the highway below; rope is
slapping lazily against the flagpole; typewriters are busy pounding away
in the offices of the President in University Hall; and the children's
voices can be heard from away to my right at the nursery school.

It certainly is a day well worth remembering for it's precious
perfectness and beauty.

Carolyn A. Johnson
Acadia ‘58
Cj