TheBanyanTree: The Great Taco Search of 2008

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Mon Sep 22 07:32:24 PDT 2008

Quoting Mike Pingleton <pingleto at ncsa.uiuc.edu>:

> Why they were the best tacos may have been that whole synergy of
> eating another country's food while in that country, while watching
> the macho charros on their high-stepping caballos, and the pretty
> senioritas in their lace-heavy dresses.

That's exactly it.  That's the reason a cold Dos Equis tastes better
when sitting on a seawall in Cozumel, the sun setting over the sea
behind me, purple sky and sea turning from deep aqua to black.  When
the lights of Mardi Gras are dancing off a million sequins and
feathered headdresses in colors no bird ever wore are fanning the hot,
humid tropical air. When street vendors are hawking drinks, balloons,
flickering lighted balls, plastic dogs, and taste treats that are
unidentifiable to the two touristas drinking beer on the seawall.
"What are those?" I'd try to ask, summoning up the little Spanish I'd
gleaned through travels, which was not nearly enough to understand the
answers.  We'd shrug, and try a bag of fried somethings or spiced
somethings, enjoying the mystery.

That's the reason, when I hear someone say, "I don't like fish," I want
to advice them to try it again on a beach in Tobago or Grenada or
Jamaica.  Order a fish that was caught that day by a guy in a small
boat named Jolly Mon, and carried to the restaurant in an old plastic
bucket, and cleaned by the chef a few minutes before he covered it in
tropical spices and threw it on the grill with onions and peppers, laid
it on a bed of rice, and brought it out to your table a few feet from
where the waves are smoothing out the sand over and over and over and
over, smoothing out your cares over and over and over.  Try it then,
with a Red Stripe and your best traveling buddy.  Tilt your head back
and see a million stars and laugh out loud and say, "This is the best
thing I've ever eaten."

Julie