TheBanyanTree: <POLITICAL> Re: Obama Reigns It In: “My mother was 18”

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Wed Sep 3 07:25:10 PDT 2008

Quoting LaLinda <twigLLet at gmail.com>:

> I’m so glad that Obama spoke up over the weekend. The negative
> reactions to a young woman’s pregnancy seemed odd, to me, since I
> don’t think I know of anyone whose family hasn’t been launched by a
> young woman, my own mother being 18 and her mother in law, my
> grandmother, being just 17. I could post a litany, but why be
> redundant?

I'm glad he spoke up, as well, saying that people's children should be
"off limits" in a political campaign.  I couldn't agree more.  And as
all the studies you included show, premarital sex happens and has
for...ever.  New adults will be new adults.  My own mother was 17 and
unmarried when she got pregnant with me.  She's not sorry she has me,
by any means, but she would rather have not had to get married and have
a baby at 17. It's a tough row to hoe the whole way--I've seen it first
hand. Contraception was simply not available back then.  But it is now,
and I can't understand why our government, pushed by conservative
religious groups, continues to spend millions on abstinence-only based
programs in our schools, and not help those 17 year olds, who will do
what they have done for millenia, get access to contraception.

"If these abstinence programs discuss contraception, it is mainly
within the context of its limitations, its failure rates, its side
effects, and its possible contribution to increased sexual risk
taking." (Institute of Medicine. (1995).  The Best Intentions:
Unintended Pregnancy and Well-being of Children and Families.
Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.)

I can't understand why some religious groups overlook "sins" when it is
convenient for them to do so, and still push to legislate punishments
and limitations for other "sins", such has homosexuality and teen
pregnancies among poor minorities.  If you come from a family that can
help support a pregnant teen and her baby, the "sin" is overlooked,
taken care of.  It happens to everyone.  We should rally around and
support them.  And we should.  But if you are a teen who happens to be
a poor minority, you were wrong to get pregnant, you are a social ill,
and you'd better get out and get a job and find somewhere to leave your
baby because your AFDC, Aid to Families with Dependent Children, (now
called TANF, or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) will be cut
off after a certain number of months.  For them, it is nothing but
social stigma and struggle.  For gays, another "sin" we try to
legislate against, it is nothing but social stigma and struggle.

I'll all for helping pregnant teens.  I'm all for accepting human
beings in all their beautiful humanness.  I'm not for legislating away
health information that will help our children and their children get a
better start in their lives.  I'm all for no one being labeled with a
big red "A".  I'm also for no one being labeled with a big read "H" and
not being allowed their human rights because they are sinners in the
eyes of...someone.  This is why I think Sarah Palin's daughter became
an issue in the press--because her mother has pushed to make her
religious beliefs public policy, only to become an example of where
that policy fails our youth.  Maybe this will be an eye-opening
experience for her.  I hope so, because what failed her kid is failing
for other people's kids, and they might not have the kind of family
support that this girl is getting.  And if she or McCain had a gay son
who wanted to get married, we might actually get somewhere.

Julie