TheBanyanTree: Obama Reigns It In: “My mother was 18”

LaLinda twigLLet at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 05:30:53 PDT 2008

I’m so glad that Obama spoke up over the weekend.
The negative reactions to a young woman’s
pregnancy seemed odd, to me, since I don’t think
I know of anyone whose family hasn’t been
launched by a young woman, my own mother being 18
and her mother in law, my grandmother, being just
17. I could post a litany, but why be redundant?

Obviously, there are plenty of valid reasons to
postpone parenthood, education being one of them.
Still, sex before marriage happens and has been
happening for
oh, decades to start with, as evidenced by a recent survey.

The fact of the matter is that even our grandmas
had premarital sex, based on a study released in
2006. More than nine out of 10 of us, men and
women, have had premarital sex, the numbers
reaching back to women born in the 1940s. Even
among a subgroup of those who abstained until at
least age 20, four-fifths had had premarital sex by age 44, the study found.

“This is reality-check research,” said the
study’s author, Lawrence Finer. “Premarital sex
is normal behavior for the vast majority of
Americans, and has been for decades.”

Continued below

<http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/01/1321281.aspx>“Families
Off-limits”

<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16287113/>Americans
weren't any more chaste in the past, researchers report

   So, why do I care, you may ask? I care because
I have a 17 year-old son and being on our 4th
teenager, we can tell you that even though we
have invested blood, sweat and tears into our
parenting, there is one little glitch between us
and their following our example of perfection:
free will. Yes, free-will, as young adults are
eager to exercise. How we love to flex that
muscle! Is it wrong? No. It’s healthy human
nature, and that what growing up is about:
separating from one’s parents and making
decisions apart from them and often, apart from
the values which have been imparted. good or bad.
Only sixty-some years ago, 17 year-olds such as
my father-in-law were enlisting to fight in World
War II. Seventeen year olds are not babies. They
are hanging 10 of the cusp of their adult lives.
They may not be fully prepared, in this new
century where demands seem to increase
exponentially, but most of life is on the
job-training. Some people never grow up and are
walking around at 55 years old whining about how
life is unfair. Life *is* unfair and not going to
change in that regard. Anyway, Thank God, I say.
Thank God for some gutsy 17 year olds who took
hold of responsibility instead of waiting for
Mama and Daddy to smooth things out for them.
Without some independent 17 year-olds, I wouldn’t
even be here. It works for me. As for our
“start-up adults?” Just try keeping a living,
breathing tornado in a box and see how well that
works. We don’t want robots who obey our every
directive, do we? We want to produce people who
can think critically and run their own lives. Oh
yeah, and make mistakes, just like the rest of us.

    *'+. .+'*
          *