TheBanyanTree: Bridal shower folly

Gloria burns.gloria at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 10:42:31 PDT 2008

It sounded so simple when the Maid of Honor announced an outdoor
bridal shower at a lovely park far from our home and nearer to hers.
It would be in September and well, September can be a gorgeous month
in Michigan.  Silly Maid apparently forgot that September in Michigan
can also call for rains that encourage decay and rot for the upcoming
fall season.  Such would be the case for us.

Friday night, said Maid called me in fits of hysterical laughter about
the weather report.  100% chance of rain!  No, there's no pavillion
for us.  No, I don't have a plan B. No, I don't have a tent for cover,
but if the rain is blowing sideways that won't help anyway, she says.
 No, I don't know what I'm going to do.  Oh my.  She thought maybe
we'd take cover in a restaurant meeting room.  Ok, does that mean you
have abandoned your Potlock Theme, wherein everyone is bringing a
dish?  Restaurants wouldn't let that happen, I say.  Oh.  One idea
after the other got tossed around and about.  Questions loomed and the
clocked ticked on in the background.  About that time, the bride
arrived for a wonderful Friday night with Mom & Dad.  Those plans were
quickly tossed aside.

I sent the Maid on a mission for finding a suitable place for her
guests.  The mission didn't last long and before we knew it she was
back on the phone in distress.  Bah.

As much as I didn't want to take charge, it came to be anyway.  Thank
God for angels.  My SIL, who lives within 1/2 hour of the park,
offered her home on this moment's notice and didn't bat an eye.
'Course I wouldn't be able to see her rolling her eyes while on the
phone, but I felt comfortable enough with her offer, that I himmed and
hawed and after a few more phone calls, graciously accepted it.  That
decision made, we could start dialing phone numbers and giving
directions to our new meeting place.    By 9:00 that job was done.
Whew.

Back to our original plans for tying up some loose ends on the
wedding, now only 3 weeks away, Kristi and I headed out the door for
supplies.  We should know better than to wander a craft department at
that time of night.  We spent way too much time there.  By the time we
got back home, both of us were ready to drop.  We were sure we'd feel
more energetic after a good night's sleep.

And so it was.  Wide-awake, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, we got into
motion making things and Dad got to cooking our potlock offerings.
Time flew much too quickly, as it always done while having fun.  Time
to go with things left undone and decisions not made.

The bridal shower worked perfectly.  We stayed dry as it poured rain
100% of the time.  Many moments of laughter and many memories made, we
can now look forward to Myrtle Beach in 3 weeks!     I will breathe a
sigh of relief when it's done.  :-)

Dreamer...always dreamin' of a kinder, gentler world for ALL