TheBanyanTree: Ashes

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 12:47:06 PDT 2008

I have a little container of ashes. It's small enough to put on a chain and
wear it as a necklace. It's small enough that I can attach it to my keys and
take it with me wherever I go. That's probably not such a good idea though,
since I'm prone to losing my keys. And my necklaces. I recently lost a
bracelet with much sentimental value. That's what I do. I lose things.
Misplace them, if you want to be technical about it. And wearing ashes just
doesn't feel right, ya know? So I'll put it someplace safe. That's what you
do with these things. You keep them safe, like the memories of those they
represent. Like the lessons learned from those whose ashes we keep safe. We
hold on to whatever little pieces give us comfort, and in the end, we hope
that's enough.

Tomorrow we disperse the rest of the ashes in Puget Sound, ashes and flowers
all together. I'll tell you about it. Aftewards.

--
Monique Colver