TheBanyanTree: renaissance woman or feminist reject

Gloria burns.gloria at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 18:23:09 PDT 2008

Laura wrote:
But, by golly, it's MY choice, and isn't that what the feminist movement was
all about?  Not
about rejecting womanhood, but having choices.
Both you and Julie were blessed with parents that understood the changes
going on and thus encouraged their daughters to dream and to do whatever
their dreams foretold.  Others like me weren't as fortunate.  I was told to
get a job the day I turned 16 or don't bother coming home.  After seeing a
boyfriend for a spell, the words became:  Don't come home pregnant or your
bags will be at the door!

Job, job, job.  Get a job... a real job.  One that will give you health care
and a retirement plan.  One that pays well.  And oh yeah, no college for
you.  You'll just find a husband, have kids, and stay home with them.  No
college needed.  Can't afford it anyway.  "But I want to go to college!" I
declared.  "Help me figure out how to do it!"  For what?  I'll tell you
what.  It will cost $? for 4 years of college, debt you will take on.  While
going to school you will have lost $7K per year by not working.  How many
years will it take you to catch up?  Besides, you wont' work after you're
married anyway!  What a waste of time and money.  My father.  Bah.

Mom stayed in her world of cleaning, cooking, raising 5 kids, attending
PTA,  enrolling us in enrichment classes, swimming, sewing, gymanstics,
piano, etiquette, and more.  She had graduated with a cosmetology degree,
worked a couple years, got pregnant! (1940), then married and had 4 more
kids, and never worked outside the home again.  Her only joy, I think, were
her children.  Lord knows that while in my teen years  I begged the two of
them to divorce.  I wanted more for Mom than what she had.  Him mostly.

So I did what I was told.  I found a job and then another one and then
another.  Only 3 jobs in a lifetime.  This last one has lasted 30 years so
far.  I can't blame the parents for that!  I look forward to the day that I
dream a dream of my choosing and chase after it.  I suppose if I lived alone
I'd be doing that now.  Hard choices.  For now, I'll stay.... and the 30
years will continue to grow in number.

Dreamer...always dreamin' of a kinder, gentler world for ALL