TheBanyanTree: Hospice Chapter 1

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sat May 17 18:43:11 PDT 2008

I applaud you your new adventure.  To some, it sounds too sad. In  reality,
it was the most inspiring thing I have even done.  Yes, it is sad,  but the
notion that you are actually helping people in the last days of life, is
comforting.  I had several people when I worked there.  The last was a  teenaged boy
with an incurable brain tumor. No one else wanted to do it.

This young man was outstanding. He had a lot of ponders, questions, fear,
and life-thoughts to share. And, since he had rabbits as a boy, I arranged to
bring in a rabbit for him. (I snuck it under my coat. Of course the nurses saw
it, but never said a word.  The bunny sat on his bed and he petted it while
I was there.  I brought bunny a few times.)

It broke my heart when the boy died. By then I was close to his father, his
only family, and was invited to the memorial service. I went.  That boy and
his father taught me so much, and I will never forget those weeks. It was hard.
 I took a leave for a bit after. But,  I signed up for another person. I
found them inspiring, and was glad for the opportunity to help them in one of
the most important passages of their lives.

I hope you find the experience as rewarding.

NancyLee

favorites at AOL Food.