TheBanyanTree: A Man Who Plants a Garden is a Very Happy Man

Rob McMonigal trebro at gmail.com
Fri May 30 13:18:34 PDT 2008

It's not much (only 6 grape tomato plans), but it's more garden than
I've had in about 10 years.  George brought them over for me (well,
actually he brought 16, but I mean, who can use 16 grape tomato plant
that isn't that insane family with 18 kids?) and I planted them in
between my rose bushes, the only patch of land that wouldn't require
heavy soil work.  They may be joined by a few pepper plants, a row of
lettuce, and onions, but that would be it.

I want this to be as manageable as possible for me, small scale.  I
don't have the time or inclination for a large garden.  Last year, I
had 3 sets of flowers and was able to take care of those just fine
(though I let a few die when we were in a drought).  This year, I'm
going to try a few vegetables along with the same amount of flowers.
Each year, I'll increase a bit, until I hit a total that works for me.
 I think this is better than trying to be Farmer Bob and having it all
go to crap by late July.

Being honest, I'm not sure if I can handle much more than this, as I'm
not the world's best outdoorsman.  But we'll give it a try.  And if
these don't take, I'll keep the other 10 tomatoes in reserve, just in
case.

PS:  Bonus points for snagging the title reference without googling...

--
-Rob
trebro at gmail.com
Pictures of Pittsbugh