TheBanyanTree: Transition 18, Part 3

Pat M ms.pat.martin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 17:39:22 PDT 2008

Transition 18, Part 3

        As soon as I arrived at my apartment, I turned on the computer and
sent an urgent email to the sponsors telling them I believed Wang Yani had
Down Syndrome. I wrote, "From my perspective, this is a real
moral dilemma so I am bringing some questions back to each of you, the
donors, and need your input.  For some of you, it may be clear; for some,
like me, it isn't. So I'm going to poll you and will make a decision based
on what the majority wants...

1)  If there is an inexpensive test to determine whether she has Down
Syndrome, would you be prepared to have some of the funds raised used for
the test (up to $50)?

2)  If Yani does have Down's Syndrome, does that make a difference to
you?  Would you prefer to fund another child's operation?"

I find myself very torn about this issue.  Questions such as, "If she has
Down's Syndrome, what will happen to her after her parents pass away?" come
to mind, as well as, "Who has the right to decide one life is more important
than another."  It's awful to have to contemplate these moral issues but I
need to know your opinion as soon as possible..."

     According to Agape, in China some 2,000 children die from congenital
heart disease every day.  Last year Agape was able to sponsor 112 heart
surgeries and saved the lives of 110 children. When the need is so great and
only a selected few can be saved, doesn't it make more sense to save a child
who can live a full, self-sufficient life than a child who can not?  Yet my
strong philosophy that every life is equally valuable could not be
reconciled with my conflicting practical viewpoint.
I tried to imagine what it was like for Ron Brown, Agape's director.
He doesn't receive any pay for his work and decides, with the help of a
cardiologist, which children will be sponsored and which will not. Agape
usually chooses simple, less costly cases that have the least risk of loss
of life.  The organization pays a maximum of 15,000 yuan and most parents
are able to afford the balance, if any.  Because of my group's donations,
more expensive and more risky cases such as Zhang Kangs were being approved.

Ron had written to me, "The decisions I must make each day are between life
and death. It is not fair for any human to have to make these kinds of
decisions..." and I couldn't agree more.  I now found myself in a similar
position with respect to Wang Yani's case.
Having lived in China and seen what becomes of the mentally and
physically handicapped here, I hated to imagine what would happen to a
mentally compromised woman if there wasn't anyone to care for her. Would she
be exploited? More than likely. Would she have to beg to survive like the
young woman I'd seen who walked on all fours like a horse going from table
to table at an outdoor restaurant? Or, the deformed woman with her pelvis on
backwards who skidded along the sidewalk on a piece of black rubber tire
calling out to the shoppers and holding up a bowl, or the man who had only a
torso and arms who was strapped to a makeshift board with wheels (similar to
a skateboard) that he maneuvered through the forest of pedestrians' legs in
the market while asking for money? Unless she was institutionalized, most
certainly.

Sleep eluded me for most of the night and I awoke feeling emotionally raw. I
picked up the phone.
            "Hi Jackie. What did you find out?"
            "There is a test and it costs 200 yuan. It takes four or five
days for the results."
            "I sent an email to the donors asking if they minded using a
little of the money to have Wang Yani tested, but I haven't heard back from
anyone yet," I said.

"If the test isn't done today, it's going to be a couple of weeks because of
the Chinese New Years holiday."

"Hmmm. In that case, I think they should go ahead and have Wang Yani tested;
I'll pay for it myself."

"Okay, I'll call the family now and ask them to take Wang Yani in today."

            "I was going to drop off the money at the hospital on Tuesday
before my flight, but I'm going to have to put a hold on it for now until we
get this sorted out.  How will I be able to send money to you from Sanya?"

            "You can send it through the Bank of China."

            "Okay. Good. Let me know as soon as you get the results."

            By the end of the day, I had formed my own viewpoint, and it
surprised even me.  I wrote to the sponsors, "I have 'suffered' to come to
my own opinion about what I'd like to do if Yani has DS, and although it may
seem heartless, I feel it is more practical to help another child or two
children who have the possibility of living a normal, self-sufficient
life. Now, I need to know how you feel and will go along with whatever the
majority of donors decide.  It is horrible to have to make this kind of
life-or-death decision."

            The following day, I heard back from Jackie.

            "The family took Wang Yani to four hospitals yesterday and none
of them would do the test. Many people have already gone on vacation.  They'll
take her to Xijing hospital for the test after the holiday."

            "Okay."

            For now, I could put aside worrying about Wang Yani and focus on
my move, now only three days away.

****

If you don't use Picasa, China photos can be viewed at
http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq

If you use Picasa, you must access the albums individually:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ms.Pat.Martin/ZhangRuntao

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ms.Pat.Martin/Sanya

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ms.Pat.Martin/January2008To

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ms.Pat.Martin/China3ZhangKangSStory