TheBanyanTree: trendy schmendy

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Thu Mar 6 07:10:02 PST 2008

I hate to pop in for a rant, especially when life is good, but a button
has been pushed, folks, and the warning bells are ringing.  I have
lived in Bloomington, Indiana, since 1979 when I came here to go to the
University.  I have always, for the most part, loved it here, and was
thrilled to find a good job here after college.  The winter cold gets
tiresome, and honestly, sometimes even the summer heat gets tiresome,
but living in a smallish University town has a lot to recommend itself.
   When I moved here, it was almost a sleepy little town--the
University, which nearly closed down in the summer, warm lakes, deep
green woods, some classic old-time greasy spoons and mom-n-pops', small
hardware stores, a five-and-dime store with a lunch counter downtown,
and a smattering of health food co-ops, yoga studios, art studios, head
shops, coffee shops, bead shops, record stores, and ethnic restaurants
that made Bloomington "different" from the surrounding areas.

Over the years, things exploded, of course, as towns and Universities
have a way of doing.  But it wasn't until the past, maybe five, years
that things turned toward the ultra-trendy.  It's as if someone decided
that they wanted Bloomington to have a more cosmopolitan flair and set
out to artificially create it, deliver it unto the great unwashed.
Because we're still in Indiana, and cosmopolitan flair doesn't come
naturally.  We get a lot of students from Chicago and the East Coast,
so maybe it's what they want.  But it's not what most long time
residents want.  We want Bloomington, with it's uniqueness, it's
quirkiness, it's old shops, it's regular small town dirt and grime,
rather than something slicker and possibly slimier.

Before I sound like a "things were better back in the day" kind of
whiner, I do realize that small towns tend to grow and change, but the
growth spurt and the change we've seen lately feels so foisted on us by
developers and downtown renovation experts.  They are robbing
Bloomington of it's identity, along with creating even a wider and more
obvious gap between the haves and the have nots.

So last night my partner, Lee, and I went out to a new restaurant.  We
had a gift certificate, or I'm not so sure we would have bothered.
It's a locally owned restaurant touting real food (whatever that
means), fresh produce (the mushrooms on our fire-baked pizza were
described as "foraged"), etc.  The concept was interesting, although it
all seemed a bit too trendy and slick.  And it was.  The whole place
seemed to be shooting for a fake kind of uber-trendiness.  The staff
was snooty.  The prices, for Bloomington, were steep.  The food was
pretentious, and to top it off, it wasn't even good.  I got a stomach
ache from one innocent-enough sounding dish that lasted the rest of the
night.

The highlights: when the hostess (and restaurant manager, we later
found out) decided to notice that we had come in the door, after we'd
stood around for a couple of minutes trying to figure out what we
should do next, she sort made a feint at coming halfway towards us and
motioned us to follow her with a pointed finger and no "please".  We
did so, and by the time we caught up with her in the dining room area,
she had stopped to talk to someone at one of the tables.  We stood
there, in the middle of the dining room, and waited rather awkwardly
for several minutes.  A waiter looked at us and shrugged and we were
just about to pick out our own damned table when the hostess turned
back to us, and without a word of apology for leaving us hanging there
like lost idiots, directed us to the worst table in the place, despite
there being many other tables empty.  The table was next to a cabinet
to which waitpersons came and went once every minute or so to pull out
silverware, small plates, etc, and had to move so close to our table
that Lee felt they were going to step on his feet.  We couldn't even
have a private conversation.  We're not shy--we moved ourselves to a
new table.  Which made the waitress rather snooty, but we didn't care,
it was just so awkward.  The waitress started rattling of the specials
at a clip that was hard to follow, and when she got to "frog legs", Lee
and I both wrinkled our noses and said, "Ewww."  This reaction in her
customers, however, did not dissuade her from continuing on with the
drawn out description of the frog leg special as if we might be
persuaded to order something that we found ghastly to begin with. After
her spiel and a look at the menu, I said, "I'd seen on the website that
you had thus-n-such, but I don't see it on the menu."  She said, "Oh,
you must want the tapas menu."  Well, yeah, I thought, I would like to
see ALL the food that is available to me at this restaurant.  Like, did
I need a secret word?  Did we not look like "tapas" people?  The whole
thing was just weird weird weird.  Oh so trendy, and oh so weird.  We
won't eat there again. We will go back to our little ethnic restaurants
where we know the owners because they are run by friendly people who
are less interested in being trendy than in being authentic and
welcoming.  We'll be going back to eat Sammy's food at the Peach
Garden, a hole-in-the-wall with paper place mats and tacky Chinese art
but the best seschuan green beens I've ever eaten.  Or back to Samira
where the owner always comes out to greet people and make sure you've
enjoyed his food and his little restaurant.  Give me a wobbly chair,
some mismatched cutlery, and some really good food.  Give me heartfelt.
  Give me community.

Julie