TheBanyanTree: The 10 Suggestions: a revision

LaLinda twigLLet at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 08:23:39 PDT 2008

I was reading a funny commentary on The 10
Commandments and as I thought abut them, I felt a
dark cloud hovering over me. I was forced to
admit that I’ve found the 10 Cs a bit tough to
swallow, especially as a child. I mean, when you
have to have your mother define “covet” and
“adultery,” the adultery part which she kind of
fudged on, as I recall, I think there is not much
danger of violating the commandments, at least,
at this time, although I reserve the right to be
mistaken and even try to provide for that projected mistake, below.

The Pentecostal neighbors gave me a charm
bracelet from which dangled 10 gold tone
pseudo-scrolls, engraved with 1 solemn
commandment each. “Yikes,” I remember my young
self thinking, “this must be serious if you’re
expected to wear them.” I was reluctant to wear
the bracelet because I found it intimidating, and
in fact, I felt the commandments, in general, a
pretty harsh approach. I totally get that some
people need a sledgehammer between the eyes to
get their attention and I’m pretty sure God was
aware of what was going on down in camp when he
etched the 10 in stone for Moses to take back to
the idolatrous revelers, so, yes, desperate times
call for desperate measures, but for 7 year olds
who have just received their First Holy
Communion
perhaps a bit heavy-handed. God seemed
to have figured this out and decided that this
method of communication without explanation and
clarification didn’t work so well, especially on
teenagers, for whom they might be retitled, “The
10 Seriously Important Suggestions to Help
Protect Your Permanent Record,” in which case
these should probably should include, “Thou salt
not slack in school,” “Thous shalt not tell thy
music teacher they are unprofessional,” “Thou
shalt not hoard your lunch money to spend at the
mall” and last, but definitely not least, “Thou
shalt not rack up thy parents’ cell phone bill.”

God’s decision for a softer, gentler delivery was
an element in why Jesus had to come to teach us
about the kingdom of God because the text of the
10 was just not hitting the nuances of the
topics. Jesus covers himself by saying that he
came to *fulfill* the law. Okay. If he says so,
but I so prefer his Great Commandment, “You shall
love the Lord your God with all your heart, with
all your soul, with all your mind, and with all
your strength.’ The second is this: ‘You shall
love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no
other commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12)
I find this much more Zen, but then, there needs
some explanation on the loving of God part. I
will say, though, that having teenagers has
caused me a greater understanding of how a God
could love us and keep taking our guff, no matter
what we do. I may want to fire my kids, but then,
inflict them on whom? I figure God would feel the same way about us. At least.

Now, for little people, I think a major overhaul
is called for, although I don’t think, as I
implied earlier, that these were intended for
children, but for major brazen hedonists. Still,
just in case one insists that our children need
to be terrorized with heavy concepts far beyond
their age, we could spin the 10 for those already
up to the challenge of violating them. I offer these:

The 10 Suggestions
    * “In case you didn’t already know, I am the
Lord your God, who made you and gave you your mom
and dad and brothers and sisters, although I hope
you don’t hold that against me. In any case, I am
the best and yes, I am the Boss of you.
    * “You shouldn’t make pictures or Play-doh
sculptures of things you intend to make more
important than I am, since it makes me feel left
out, which could bring on a need for time out for
me which would be highly inappropriate.. I am,
however, loving and kind to those who stick with
me and consider my suggestions.
    * “You shouldn’t use my name in crude or crass ways. It’s just not nice.
    * Remember to make Sunday a special day for
rest, relaxation and fun because I blessed it just for you.
    * Be kind and loving to your mother and
father so that your life may not end early. Think about that.
    * Don’t kill people - it’s complicated.
    * Don’t do very naughty things. It makes life easier.
    * Including not stealing. Somebody may need
the thing you want to take from them.
    * Don’t say untrue things about others on
purpose and try to be honest. It makes people trust you.
    * Don’t wish longingly for other kids’
things. You’ll get yours when the time is right, so wait your turn.

I’ll run these by some little people I know and see what they think.

LLD