TheBanyanTree: A Man Who Plants a Garden is a Very Happy Man

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Tue Jun 3 08:04:15 PDT 2008

In a message dated 6/2/2008 10:54:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tybrent at gmail.com writes:

I think  I'd plant strawberries just for the cranes if I could have them
in my  yard.

Oh, how I love the sandhill cranes, especially this time of year when they
show up with their baby.  The parents are very protective, and are forever
stalking and posing all around the young one, to show possible crane-eaters that
they are mighty and fearless. The brainless barn kitties ran out to see what
all  the racket wa about, and mama crane would pick each one up and fling it
away.  The kittens soon learned that long-legged birds, are not fair.

I  do grow orchids. The plants are facsinating, not becuse of their  beauty,
for the orchid plant it gangly and awkward-looking.  But, the  flowers spring
open in shades of deep purple, yellow, lime green, and stay  perfect for
months. I also have luck with Jasmine, with its intoxicating scent,  and some forms
of palms and bromiliads. All are prehistoric in nature, and  tenacious. The
more I neglect them, the better they grow.

I may try blueberries. The nursery across the road from me has been having
luck with them. I do love blueberries.

But, I do miss lilacs and peonies, lillies of the valley, and dandilions. I
hear that this is a good year in Minnesota for dandilions.

NancyLee

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.