TheBanyanTree: What the 1967 referendum really did

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Tue Feb 12 08:05:43 PST 2008

I read your posting with much interest.  When I worked through the  courts
(the white court system) my assignment was to monitor the progress and  state of
Native American children on northern reservations.  Se, the white  courts and
Human Resources folks, had trouble with the fact that most of  the children
were not living with their  parents.  That, I found, was  true. (I have no idea
why the study, since no one mentioned abuse or neglect in  those cases, only
that the children were not living with their parents. I  wondered at the
intent and motive of those initiating the study.)

However, in my report to the courts, I went into some length the family
system of the Native Americans under scrutiny. There were several extended
families in that reservation; aunt and uncles and several sets of grandparents  and
other relatives on both side of the family.  The children would take  turns
living with other relatives.  It was their way of teaching children  to
accommodate, adjust, and learn to obey all in authority. Not like the  'white' kids
who use the "you're not my mother' plaint when disciplined or asked  to do
something.

I saw huge families blended into one unit for the raising of everyone's
children in that family.  It was smooth, it was educational, it was good  for the
kids.  At the time, I had small children of my own, and was tempted  to ship
them off to my sister's, though that meant I would have to take  hers.

I think my lengthy court report on the customs of the peoples there, kept
the Human Resources from starting to think about removing those children and
placing them elsewhere. Since there were so few Native American foster homes, it
 meant the kids would be doled out to white families in nearby communities.
Which  the Native people, rightly so, would battle. The attitude being, to
belittle or  diminish the Native customs.  Much like the olden times when the good
 Sisters would take children from the Native families, to bring them up as
good  Christians.

I am so weary of the constant over consideration of the races, and
minorities, and those of varying lifestyles or religions.  Instead of  pointing out all
the "diversity" of the peoples.  We should just accept  everyone as they are.
 I don't want anyone to consider me as anything other  than I am, and not
single me out because I am this or that.  Or, are they  considering a program to
advance the state of older, shorter women with a few  extra pounds who have
freckles and too many dogs?

NancyLee

Awards. Go to AOL Music.