TheBanyanTree: Atheists

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Sun Dec 21 17:18:10 PST 2008

Of all the definitions which one can find for atheism the one I
particularly like (from Dictionary.com) is one which says in part
'Atheism is a ferocious system, that leaves nothing above us to excite
awe, nor around us to awaken tenderness. --R. Hall'

And so it is. Now if I were to talk to your son the engineer I would ask
him to describe to me how a quartz clock works and if he got the answer
right (not many people do) I would lead him along a path which clearly
demonstrates a) that our workings are in essence not a lot different and
b) that belief in something which lies outside our immediate selves
enables us to use or be of use to it - rather than disbelief which
enables nothing at all and, indeed, takes away from us.

Also I have to question, in this instance, whether the person(s) who
drew up the sign is aware of what solstice means, ie:

> either of the two times a year when the sun is at its greatest distance from the celestial equator:

and then by association:

> celestial:
> adjective - pertaining to the spiritual or invisible heaven; heavenly; divine: celestial bliss;
>
> noun - an inhabitant of heaven.

roger