TheBanyanTree: Thought I'd share this if anyone is interested...

Sharon Mack smack58 at nycap.rr.com
Mon Dec 29 07:48:49 PST 2008

This is soooooo good!!  In our home growing up it was tradition to eat at
midnight on New Year's Eve, and you had to eat sauerkraut for good luck in
the New Year according to my German mother's family tradition.  This was her
family recipe.  Try it, you'll like it.  When I used to do the BIG dinners
(25 or more people) I had folks who swore they hated sauerkraut like this
one.

SWEET ‘N SAUERKRAUT

(like my mother used to make)

1 large can of Sauerkraut and the juice

Caraway Seed (to taste)

Pepper

Garlic Powder (Light)

One large onion (sliced)

½ cup brown sugar

½ bottle of beer

Add all of the ingredients to a large oven safe pot (Dutch oven is good)
except the beer.  Stir together well.  Add the ½ bottle of beer.

Pork (country ribs; thick-sliced pork roast; chops or cutlets)

Sausages (Knockwurst; Bratwurst; Weisswurst; Kielbasa; hotdogs)

½ bottle of beer

Bar-B-Q Sauce (plain, not flavored)

Lay pork over sauerkraut and lightly salt and pepper.  Pour beer over pork
then cover with the Bar-B-Q sauce.

Cover and bake in oven at 325* F.

Bake for several hours until meat falls off of the bones.

Remove from oven and add sausages.  Bake until sausages split slightly,
uncovered.

Serve sauerkraut over mashed potatoes.

MASHED POTATOES

Peel potatoes and boil in salted water until soft.

Pour off water.

Add 1 stick of real butter cut into chunks, salt and pepper, ½ & ½ or
evaporated milk and 1 raw egg.

Smash with potato masher and then use electric mixer.  Add more milk product
if necessary until potatoes are smooth and fluffy.