TheBanyanTree: Back at the Beehive

Rob McMonigal trebro at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 14:06:26 PST 2008

Holy crap, I finally took my laptop somewhere and am "blogging" from
somewhere that is not my living room!

Yes, Stanley made the trip to the South Side with us, and I am using the
Beehive's handy free wireless, while I sip on some English Breakfast tea.

It's funny--I used to write in my notebooks here, then I moved to Erica's
word processor, and now, here I am, with a laptop.  No matter what the
technology, this is my home away from home.

I love the Beehive--and I love it even more now that it's non-smoking!

It's really quite nice to just hang out here and relax without any
distractions.  When I'm at home, particularly when I feel like I should be
cleaning or something, I tend to forget the joy of just writing stuff out or
letting my thoughts distill under the weight of a good cup of tea.

I am pretty sure I've been here with just about every group of friends I've
known at one point or another, going back about 10 years.  There was pinball
with most of them, too.  (Bill and I used to attack Mars Attacks and
Medieval Madness with a vengeance.)  I've also played a few games and
plotted some micronational strategy.  (God, that seems like ages ago...)

But most of all, I've come to the Beehive to sit and write.  Which I also
intend to do now, though it will be non-fiction, most likely.  Still, no
matter what, there's always an urge to create when I'm here.

Someday, I'm gonna write a tribute to this place that's worthy of it.
Someday...

--
-Rob
trebro at gmail.com