TheBanyanTree: clean sweat

Sachet sachet at alltel.net
Thu Aug 14 20:41:14 PDT 2008

I really didn't think that I liked to sweat.

Recently I've discovered that there is indeed a difference between icky
sweat and clean sweet. Icky sweat is pretty much self-explanatory. It
covers your body as a sticky coating when you are in suffocatingly hot
and humid conditions that you can't escape, but must miserably endure.
AKA Florida in the summer.

I spend a lot of my free time hiking in the mountains. I swam laps in
Florida to keep in shape and gloried in slicing through the clear cool
water of a beautiful blue pool or the buoyant waves of the Gulf of
Mexico. But here the mountains are my refuge, source of energy and
magical place of utter relaxation. Sadly, the summer makes it too hot to
hike in my nearby mountains, and driving to even higher elevations is
not feasible on weeknights. After trying this and that, I finally
concluded that I would have to join the local Y. I honestly thought it
would be something that I would end up having to tolerate in order to
maintain my endurance levels so that I can hike to my hearts content
once the cooler weather blows in.

Who knew I'd enjoy sweating?

In the wonderfully chilly workout room, with a large open atmosphere,
and the additional consideration of ceiling fans creating refreshing
swirls of cold air the sweat builds slowly. First it beads up at my
temples which means it's time to put my hair up in a pony tail so that
my neck can feel the contrast of warm droplets of sweat trickling down
my shoulders as the cool air brushes past, causing little shivers of
unexpected pleasure.

Next I feel the droplets gather at my collar bone before they trail
down, finding a pathway to my stomach, slowly but surely in rapidly
flowing succession. After about 15-20 minutes the constant trickles of
sweat running down my tummy tickle a lot as they saturate my waistband.

It's intriguing because my arms and legs are cool and dry, and my face a
bit misty with that unique feeling of having pushed my body far enough
to have the endorphins flooding my system in an intense cascade. The
natural high stays with me as I hop up the stairs to cool down walking
around the track. Initially at a fast pace, gradually slowing down by
the time I reach half a mile, until I evenly shorten my stride and let
my pace decrease enough to head back down the stairs on my way to the pool.

It's always a toss-up where to immerse myself first - the crisp cold
water of the pool or the hot bubbling water of the hot tub. Tonight I
chose the hot tub and that endorphin-induced sense of relaxation
intensified as the jets massaged any aching muscles into submission.
Thankfully, there is a 10-15 time limit for relaxing in the spa since
the water is so incredibly hot, otherwise I could easily drift off to sleep.

A quick dip in the pool just to feel the contrasting coolness enhances
the newly addictive experience of learning to enjoy clean sweat.

.....Sachet