TheBanyanTree: Making Progress

Kitty Park kpark at sssnet.com
Sun Apr 27 10:34:44 PDT 2008

Until late last fall, Brandon (8) and Sophia (5) would take
turns every month having a sleepover here on a Friday while
Dawn got together with her scrapbooking friends.  The child
and I would take the other home and then go to dinner -
nothing fancy, just a place where each could have grandma
time one-on-one.

Then the holidays came - and went - and Dawn decided to give
up her scrapbooking rep responsibilities and just do her
thing.  So those nights with a house full of women stopped.
And so did my overnights with the grandkids.

Dawn called yesterday afternoon (when I'd finally fallen
into my chair to rest after the window cleaning) to say
Brandon had requested some time alone with Dawn.  Just the
two of them.  At dinner.  Sophia thought that *she* could
spend the night with me.  And then Brandon offered the
thought that after he and Mommy finished dinner, maybe she
could drop him off and *he* could spend the night, too!!

And so they did.  I was happy to see they can do a lot for
themselves now.  Brandon showers without supervision.
Sophia bathes, and still enjoys playing in the bubblebath,
but she's pretty self-sufficient, too.  I stand by to assist
when it's time to rinse the shampoo from her hair and chase
the bubbles down the drain.

They can get around in the kitchen.  They know where the
foods they like are and each has a bottle of water in the
fridge.  (I just wish they'd learn to put the empties on the
counter so I could wash and refill them!  I repeatedly find
their empties replaced on the refrigerator shelf.)

I anticipated sleeping in this morning.  Silly me.  At 7:00
I heard voices.  I laid there and listened as they moved
through the condo, the voices coming closer.  I heard Sophia
ask Brandon to help her snap her pants and he refused, so
she came into my bedroom.  The bed shook as she climbed up
beside me to request assistance.  Task accomplished, she
jumped down and went to join Brandon in the kitchen where I
could hear cupboard doors being opened and closed.  They
have their own plastic cups, bowls and dishes and I heard
them placed on the counter.  Brandon asked Sophia if she
wanted a pop-tart and she replied she wanted cereal.   The
fridge door opened and closed.   I heard spoons being pulled
from the drawer and put on the counter.  Then, "Sophia!  You
made me spill it!!"

It was only a matter of time.  I *knew* there'd be a mess of
some kind to clean up before they finished breakfast.
Fearing the worst, I called out, "Do you need help?" and
Brandon, with a dejected voice, replied, "Yesssssssssss."

I found him sitting on the kitchen floor with paper towels
in his hand as he tried to soak up the splashed milk.  I
thanked him for helping Sophia with her breakfast and trying
to clean up and told him it was okay to go eat, I'd wipe up
the milk.

And so the sleepover went.  I've never wanted to go back in
time, to relive an event.   But I do tuck special times away
to remember as they (either the grown kids or the little
ones) move on to new experiences and gain new skills.  The
day may yet come when Brandon pushes my wheel chair just
like I used to push his stroller.

Kitty
kpark at sssnet.com
www.parkplaceohio.com