TheBanyanTree: vet visit follow up

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 08:03:58 PDT 2008

Wow.  Ask and ye shall receive.

I talked to my vet, and told him what was going on.  He said "How do you
feel about surgery?"  I flatly said "NO".  Maybe if the dog were younger, but
I wasn't going to put him through that.  Dr. B just nodded, and started telling
me about pain management options.  He gave me a sample pack - enough
for 40 days for my wee doggie! - of a drug that came out in 2005 which is
supposed to be more effective (if you believe the drug company that
produces it) than either of the older drugs, and has been found to work for
doggies who weren't getting relief from them.  Zig was originally on one of
the older meds (rimadyl) and was not getting relief from it anymore.

So I said, ok, we'd try it.  The packaging clearly says it could take several
days for the animal to show signs of improvement, to be patient.  (there is
that horrible word again)  I gave him his first dose last night at bedtime, and
put him in his crate.

This morning I let him out, and he blasted out of his crate, tail up, head
high, and ran for the door!  He ran out with the rest of the pack, shot down
the stairs, did his morning business, and ran back up the stairs without any
signs of pain!!

Back in the house, he tried to get Angel to play with him.  He did show
some signs of timidity when my oldest son came over to pet him - he sort
of tucked his head down, but relaxed when he realized it wasn't going to
hurt him.

I am one HAPPY dog mommy today!!!

--
Laura