TheBanyanTree: Happy Tax Day!

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 08:42:24 PDT 2008

I waited until the last possible moment, or, more exactly, I waited until
the last possible moment before the last possible moment, because I didn't
want the stress of doing it at the last possible moment, so I did it the day
before.

Well, I sort of did it months ago, looked at what I owed, shrieked in
terror, and put it back away for a little while. I kept avoiding tax day. I
thought that perhaps the numbers would change from then to now, that perhaps
some sort of catastrophic event would make us eligible for a large "write
off" and I could come up with something "prettier." I'm all about pretty
taxes,

So I waited, but no catastrophic event happened, and at last I could do no
more. I'm still paying off the IRS from years ago, when I was in different
circumstances ("I'm just trying to keep us alive! And with roofs (rooves? If
it's hooves, shouldn't it be rooves? I'm not quite awake yet apparently)
over our heads! Those days have passed. Well, I still like a nice solid roof
over my head, and food, but I'm no longer having to ponder which pawn shop
could give me the most for my old jewelry, or trying to sell things on ebay
so I can pay the rent. Ah, good times. Many things have changed over the
past few years. I no longer sleep in my car during the day because I'm so
tired -- instead I just walk down the hall to the bedroom and take a nap.
Much more comfortable. I don't have to harangue clients to pay me because
twice a month money magically appears in my checking account, and the extra
clients pay me when they get around to it.

Anyway, it's tax day. I plan to catch up on my obligation to the IRS this
year. In addition to their monthly automatic payment I've made my
withholdings from my salary higher, and this should be the year I wipe out
the IRS debt,

We shall have a party when that day arrives.