TheBanyanTree: Potpourri

Margaret R. Kramer margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com
Sat Sep 29 08:18:48 PDT 2007

It’s almost October 1 and this morning finds me looking at gray, low clouds
zooming above.  Word is from the weather service that we’re going to have
rain for sure tomorrow, but today is one of those days where they hedge
their bets and say it might rain or it might not just to be correct no
matter what happens.

We had more rain this week so the grass is maintaining its bright green
while the trees continue to gain color and lose leaves.  But it’s been warm,
so warm I wore shorts for a few days earlier in the week.  No frost in
sight.

We have a small Farmers’ Market which comes to our office park each week.  I
spent a few bucks on onions and carrots along with gourds and small pumpkins
for the fall decorating of our house.

It was Ray’s birthday this week and I bought a small block of sharp cheddar
cheese for him at the Market.  He loves cheese, especially cheese that
twinges the taste buds.

This week Shadow ate a whole bag of Ray’s candy corn, about a pound of sugar
laden candy.  This dog is a counter surfer.  He’s tall enough to graze on
our kitchen counter when we’re in bed or at work.  We learned after finding
chewed up foodless plastic wrappers on the floor that we need to keep our
food up high or in the cupboard.

Shadow had to throw up last night, so Ray let him outside.  Shadow grazed on
the grass like a cow.  Then he came in and threw up.  He seemed fine this
morning.  Then Ray showed me something – Shadow had eaten ALL the leaves off
of a plant we have by the window!  The poor plant is nothing but green bare
branches.

Ray gave me this look like “It’s all your fault – you’re the one who bought
this goofy dog into our lives.”  I tried to explain that Shadow, desperate
for something to calm down his stomach, ate the leaves.  He didn’t do on
purpose to get back at us for something.  I tried to explain his digestive
system is all whacked out after eating that candy.  It’s just a plant,
easily replaced.  I’d rather have him eat plants than tear up the furniture.

I’ll do some research and find out why this dog is such a garbage can.
Although I think Axel would do the same thing, but he’s too short to counter
surf.

One of my young co-workers was promoted to a team lead position.  He’s the
type I see so often in management today.  He has the instinct to say the
right things to the right people, yet since I work with him, I know he doesn
’t have the skills to back up what he’s saying.  But he hides that lack very
effectively.  He’s the type of person who can scan a room and immediately
discern which person holds the power and then latches onto that person for
dear life.  Anyone without “power” doesn’t exist for him.  He’s like a cat,
always looking upward, and therefore, will continue to be promoted.  With
these types of managers, no wonder American business is losing ground on the
world stage.

Finally, my youngest grandson scored his first touchdown.  Both boys are on
the same flag football team.  During games, the teams each only have five
kids on each side and the coach is out there with them.  They run plays,
more like a scrimmage than an actual game.  Ashlin had been used as a decoy
to fool the other team’s defense in going after him rather than the kid with
the ball for several plays.  Finally, the coach, my son and Ashlin’s dad,
let him have the ball and he was off to the races, ran down the field
without anyone grabbing his flag, and scored a touchdown.  He was quite
pleased.

And that’s the way it was this past week in St. Paul, MN.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net
margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can
steal.
~Author Unknown