TheBanyanTree: Realizing another dream

Pat M ms.pat.martin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 06:15:33 PDT 2007

 Hello folks,

Yesterday, I visited the terracotta army of Emperor Qin Shi Huang--the
eighth wonder of the world--and it was amazing. For over 2,000 years, these
life-size warriors lay beneath the ground and were only discovered in 1974
when some Chinese farmers began to dig a well.

I've put my latest photos at the beginning of the slide show so you can
easily access them.  http://picasaweb.google.com/Ms.Pat.Martin/China

The site has 3 pits and it is presumed there are more.  Work is ongoing.

Pit No. 1 alone has more than 6,000 terracotta soldiers and horses, and some
40 wooden chariots arranged in battle formation.  When discovered, the
soldiers wielded bronze weapons, including swords, spears, daggers, axes,
and arrows.  After being buried for more than 2,000 years, they had lost
none of their shine or sharpness.  Examinations by electronic probe and and
laser tests showed a layer of an oxidized chromium compound, an agent
against rust and corrosion, on the surface of the weapons.  This technique
has been known to western manufacturers in modern times, but apparently it
was already in use in China 2,000 years ago.

The weapons have been removed and put into storage (although I don't know
why).

What an experience to see this incredible piece of Chinese history.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Pat
"Never stop dreaming."