TheBanyanTree: running in the rain

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Wed Sep 12 18:32:48 PDT 2007

It was a beautiful day.  A good day for walking dogs, for thinking  about
mowing the lawn and doing some Fall yard cleanup and pruning. But,   in walking
the dogs, I decided to let the rest go and simply enjoy the  weather.

Late this afternoon, a tiny cloud appeared. And, as so often happens in  this
state, cloud turned into high billows, brought lightning, and no sunset at
all. I pretended not to notice, but the dogs knew the day's end before I. They
wanted in. They went to their beds.  They wanted to sit in my lap.

I finally noticed. And, when the sun was meant to go down, I dashed out to
feed the horses, fill water tubs, settle the chickens, put the goat in. And, I
finished all this in  a driving, blowing, noisy rainstorm. I kept thinking
about golfers, caught out on the course in a storm, taking shelter under trees
and getting felled by lightning. By leaping as I ran, was I putting off that
possibility?  I doubt it, but I pretended it would help.  Leap and  dance
through the blowing rain, the whipping trees, the crack of lightning that  made
the horses jump. Lights flickered.  The racing rain hurt as it pelted  my skin.

I finished the barn chores and made a mad dash, and got soaked as I got  back
into the house.  The dogs never even came out of hiding to greet me. I  would
have followed the storm on the weather channel, but the power was  out.