TheBanyanTree: shooters?!?!?

Sachet sachet at alltel.net
Tue Nov 27 19:54:21 PST 2007

A few nights ago, I was laying on the couch in the den reading a great
book, engrossed in the storyline, when the laughter from the kitchen
finally impinged enough upon my solitude for me to actually focus and
listen.

I blinked in amused bewilderment over what I heard. My 17 year old son,
21 year old daughter and her 25 year old boyfriend were having a
drinking contest. Drinking shooters.

I hear them challenging each other to gulp the entire shot of whatever,
swish it around, then swallow it without making a face or coughing. Next
comes the hilarity or teasing because someone has failed to do it
straight faced. You'd swear they were at a bar guzzling down some form
of hard liquor.

But....

I was so bewildered because the only alcohol in the house is my very
small bottle of rum for my infamous Black Rum Cake recipe. And I knew
they weren't touching that because I let them taste it when I got it so
they could get over their curiosity and see for themselves how nasty it
tastes on its own. I've done that with several alcoholic drinks over the
years, to help remove the mystery and to lessen the determination to
rush out and drink once they turn 21. So far my plan has worked out very
well. They haven't liked whiskey, vodka, rum or even beer. I am praying
that holds true throughout their lives, since alcoholism is prevalent in
my family.

So anyway, I listen and listen and grin over how hard they are laughing
and finally call out to ask them what they are drinking from shot
glasses. (I have a cute little decorative set.)

Dead silence for a minute.

So I get up to go peek into the kitchen.

And am amazed to find a bottle on the counter.

Of....

Lemon juice.

Yeah. Try a lemon juice shooter and see if you can keep a straight face.

God love 'em.

I about fell over coz I was laughing so hard.

....Sachet