TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 222

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat May 19 10:11:21 PDT 2007

May 18, 2000007

Dear Flower Gatherers,

	I thank you all for your words of
encouragement and empathy.  You helped me sleep
last night.  Mint is home, with her feeding tube
emerging from under the bandages around her neck.
The jolly vet tech demonstrated how to give Mint
her medication and food and water through the
tube with the syringes.  Feyna kept zoning out,
and I had to nudge her.  "Feyna, pay attention.
You'll need to know how to do this yourself."
And she'd attend for the next few paragraphs.
The whole scene made us all nervous and
melancholy, worried,  scatter brained.  Four
feedings a day.  Many medications to crush up and
mix with the food or water, three times a day.
Some only one time a day.  A stomach settling
aperitif a half hour before meals, for three of
the meals.  One pill that has to go down her
throat.  They gave us a thing called a pillar
that delivers little pills into the throats of
uncooperative cats.  We walked out of there with
a case of special food that can be delivered by
syringe through the tube.  Just mix with water,
fill up to the 20ml marking, and push it slowly
in.  Mint just sits there calmly while her meal
is placed directly in her belly.  This was
remarkable, because Mint never sits calmly at a
veterinary clinic.  I guess over the few days she
was there, she got used to them.  When the vet
tech brought Mint in, she was wrapped in a towel.
She was so excited to see us, her mother and her
grandmother that a minute later, she threw up.
It alarmed me.  I thought, "Oh no.  The cat is
exploding."  Watching her, all bony and subdued,
I started to cry.  Feyna reacted immediately by
holding my shoulder, saying, "Oh Mom!" tending to
me.  I said not to worry.  I cry easy.  I do.  We
asked a lot of questions.  One of them was about
prognosis.  Vet tech says, "It's hepatic
lipidosis".  "No," I shook my head, "That's the
diagnosis.  I'm asking about the prognosis.  What
are the chances that Mint will pull through this
and recover?"  Vet tech was upbeat.  "Oh, sure
she will.  Most cats recover from this."

	My mother pitched in to pay part of the astonishing bills.

                                             ¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼

ººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººº
                                           ØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØ

Life Saver

	It wasn't frequent, but we did go up to
Portland, Oregon, from time to time to visit my
father's older sister, Selma, her husband, "Uncle
Milton," and their two kids, our cousins, Joell
and David.  I don't know why Joell was named
Joell, but David was named David because he was
born on the day of his grandfather, David's,
funeral.  There were a lot of Davids in the
family.  It was hard to keep up with them.  So
when my brother was born, they named him Daniel,
using the D to honour Grampa David, but not going
full bore on the whole name.

	Grama Lena, the widow, asked my mother
about this.  "You're not going to call him David?"

	"There are already Davids in the family.
Selma's son is David.  They'd get confused."

	She put up a little bit of a struggle,
applying a cool guilt compress to my mother's
temples, but the name was already on the birth
certificate.  Too late.  That was the final word,
"Too late now."

	But it wasn't too late in Lena's mind.
She continued to refer to Daniel as David and had
to be corrected each time, as if it had never
happened before.  Lena spread the news around the
family, and to this day, there are relatives who
call Daniel David.  At least we know where it
came from.

	The summer visit when I was nine landed
in the middle of a heat wave in Portland.  No one
was used to it.  No one had air conditioning, and
I remember watching the adults sit around in
brief clothing, an ice cold drink of tea or
coffee or soda in their hands, holding the
glasses to their cheeks.

	When it snowed in Maryland, if it were a
good solid snow that felled the area, they would
call off school.  Parents would dress their kids
up in snow gear, open their front doors and let
them loose on the empty streets.  When cars did
go by they would be announced by the snow chains
strapped to their tires.  The combination of
clanking metal and the shushing of the snow could
be heard half a block away at least.  And then,
in retreat, we heard it until the car and its
tires were far down the road.

	So if they called off school for heavy
snow, why didn't they call off school, work,
deadlines, responsibilities in general for a heat
wave?  I thought this was a very bright and
original thought, and brought it to my mother.

	"When it snowed, they called it a snow
day in Maryland, and we didn't have to go to
school.  Why don't they call this a heat wave
day, and call off school?"

	"But, Tobie, there is no school.  It's summer vacation."

	I stammered, shifted my weight, stood
there in the middle of my mistake, wanting to
make my point nonetheless.

	"You know what I mean.  What if there
were school?  Then they should cancel it.  That's
what I mean."

	Where do you go from there?  I mean, as a
parent, what's the next step?  Do you acknowledge
the good idea and talk about how to get this idea
to the proper people?  Suggest a letter to the
editor a lesson in form and protocol?  Suggest a
petition to the school board, a lesson in
politics and frustration?  Suggest taking a
survey to determine what support there would be
for such an idea, a lesson in organization,
statistics and sociology?  But when you're being
Mommy to three children who all have their good
ideas, how many great causes can you champion?
It would be a valuable learning experience in
civic function, government organization, or even
just following through with a good idea.  And it
would take days dedicated to the causes to make a
small step forward.  In the heat, I could see my
mother's wheels spinning more slowly than usual.
It was just too much to contemplate.

	"That's a good idea, Tobie.  We should think about it."

	That punched my ticket, and I ran off to
join Joell, David and Dana in our sweltering
games.

	"You know, there's a public pool in the
park," Selma said.  "Why don't we take the kids
swimming?"

	Our ears heard this over our din from
across the house and upstairs.  We dropped what
we were doing and came barrelling in to make sure
this happened.  We jumped up and down yelling,
"Swimming!  Swimming!  Swimming!" leaping like
Chihuahuas, making too much noise, annoying the
grown ups.  We ran to get our swimsuits, some
towels, our bathing caps, zorries.  There was
stomping up and down the stairs, shouting,
unbridled joy.

	Selma and my mother took us to the pool.
They packed shopping bags with our supplies,
loaded us into Selma's car.  The parking lot was
huge, or at least it seemed that way to me.
Everything was bigger and more official than it
had been in Silver Spring.  This was because it
was all new.  I had to ask Joell about the rules
and regulations in Portland.  Do we have to take
a shower before we get in the pool?  Who's
allowed in the deep end?  Can you dive for coins?
Can you bring your own pool toys in with you?
Can you ask the life guard important questions
even while they're on duty?  How deep is the deep
end?  Can you stay in as long as you like?  What
if somebody takes the stuff in your locker?  Can
you pee in the pool?  Can you swim in the toilet?
Dana told me to shut up, and snapped the strap of
my swim suit on my bare shoulder.  It was a
warning shot.  I held my questions.

	The mommies sat in chairs around the
pool, and all four of us fell in as if we'd
walked off a cliff.  I knew little more than the
dog paddle even though at Webster/Neal day camp
they'd given us swimming lessons.  But a dog
paddle was a form of mobile flotation, so I was
encouraged with my expertise.  I looked around
me.  There were so many other kids my age, all
splashing around, squirting water at each other,
playing tag, seeing how long they could hold
their breath under water, swimming underneath the
water with their eyes open.  The bigger kids hung
around at the edge of the pool, displaying their
sexy sloth to members of the opposite sex.  All
that was still pointless to me, a big nothing.

	"Look at me!" I shouted at Dana, when my
mother wasn't available.  "Look.  I can stand on
my hands in the water!"  I flipped myself over
and touched the bottom with the flats of my
palms, my legs emerging from the water, kicking,
assuming all kinds of bizarre positions: legs
spread wide, legs tight together, legs bent at
the knees, legs peddling an imaginary bicycle,
legs waving around randomly in the air.  Dana
wasn't impressed.

	"I have better things to do with my time
than watch you and your child like stunts."  She
shoved off.

	I watched the big kids in the deep end,
diving, cavorting, swimming on the surface while
below them nine feet of water held them up, even
though I knew it could pull them down.  I let go
of the edge of the pool, and started to swim out
to the deep end.  I felt wicked, dangerous.
Then, WHAM, right in front of me, a hefty kid
made himself into a canon ball and parted the
sea.  Water sloshed up my nose.  Water streamed
into my mouth.  I lost my bearings.  Which way
was I facing?  How do I get back to the edge of
the pool?  I breathed in some water and started
hacking violently, thrashing around, my arms
hitting out wherever they could land.  I felt
myself going down under the water.  Then someone
tore off my bathing cap, grabbed me by the hair
and started dragging me away.  I needed to get up
on top of whatever pile there was.  I grabbed
onto the head of the person rescuing me, and
tried to climb up.  I pushed the person down as I
tried to rise.  Get to the air!  Get to the air!
I had no idea what I was doing.  I was saving my
life, scrambling over my saviour, reaching for
the sky.

	I felt a blow to my head, a sharp new
ache rattled my brains, and I could see for an
instant that my rescuer was Dana.  And she was
angry at me.  She hooked her elbow around my neck
and paddled over to the side of the pool.  She
screamed at me to stop flopping around.  I was
more or less unable to order my thoughts, and
kept fighting her.  Dana got me to the edge of
the shallow end, pushed me by the tuchas up over
the lip of the cement and deposited me, a fish
having a nasty seizure, on the path surrounding
the pool.

	I finally caught my breath, expelled the
water in my lungs, and lay there exhausted,
depending utterly on the wisdom and patience of
those around me.  Nothing was said between Dana
and me for the rest of the excursion.  But when
we got into the car, all wet, wrapped in towels,
sitting down and facing the front, she bubbled
over at the peak of excitement to Selma and my
mother.

	"I saved Tobie's life!  She tried to
drown me, too, but I saved her anyway!"

	She got a lot of kudos for being my life
saver.  She leaned over and told me, "I'll never
let you forget this."  I swallowed my tongue.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net