TheBanyanTree: Happy Mother's Day

Margaret R. Kramer margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com
Sun May 13 07:12:08 PDT 2007

Well, Mother’s Day is just another day to me.  There’s no breakfast in bed.
There’s no flowers, except the lilacs I cut myself and placed in a vase on
the dining room table.  There are no diamond necklaces.  There’s no sitting
in a chair all day long waiting for my family to wait on me.

Mother’s Day has always been a typical Sunday to me.  Even as I was growing
up, all we did was make or buy a card and the rest of the day fell into the
regular Sunday routine.

My adult activity was that my sister and I would take my grandma out for pie
and coffee on Mother’s Day.  No kids, no husbands, just the three of us
gossiping away with each other for a couple of hours.

My mother and grandma are gone now and I’m at the peak of the generational
triangle.  And I declare Mother’s Day as a normal Sunday for everyone.

Ray will make breakfast, but he does that every Sunday.  I’ll read the
paper.  I’ll go work out.  I’ll tan.  We bought plants yesterday, so I’ll
spend the afternoon getting them into pots or the ground.

Then the big Mother’s Day event – after the boys and Susan and Asher are
done seeing Spiderman Three – we’ll meet at Old Country Buffet for a cheap
and satisfying Mother’s Day dinner.  I bought Susan a card, the only mother
I have that I can buy a card for now.

That’s my low key and practical way to celebrate Mother’s Day.  And I love
every minute of it, just like I love any other Sunday.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net
margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com

Making the decision to have a child is momentous.  It is to decide forever
to have your heart go walking around outside your body.
~Elizabeth Stone