TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 216

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed May 9 08:44:24 PDT 2007

May 9, 2000000007

Dear My Favourite People,

	Yesterday was the big, final I.E.P.
(Individual Educational Plan) meeting with the
school district and all Meyshe's service
providers, the experts, the therapists, the
teacher, the director of the school, the lawyer,
the works.  There were ten people sitting around
the table.  Meyshe's lawyer, Rick, who has
protected him so artfully and effectively from
the district, turned on his tape recorder.  So
did Mr. Joy, the director of Special Education in
the Berkeley Schools.  They were at opposite ends
of the table.  The day was hot.  There was no
ventilation in the room.  The important people
had come wearing their business suits, and
stripped little by little as the afternoon wore
on.  The meeting was supposed to start at 1:00
and be finished at 3:30, but of course, it went
on until 4:30, at least.  There were two pitchers
of ice water on the table and two stacks of cups.
Each person went over the goals and objectives
decided upon at the last I.E.P., about a year
ago, and each person went over the new goals and
objectives for Meyshe's transition to his life
after the public schools' responsibility for his
education stops.  That would be after he
graduates from the school, this June.  And then,
there will be no reimbursement from the district
for Meyshe's cognitive therapy with the very
expensive and specialized Dr. Helmut Relinger,
nor the social skills group, nor speech/language
therapy, nor occupational therapy.  The Regional
Center of the East Bay is supposed to take over.
To be a client of the Regional Center, you have
to leap through a number of disability hoops.
And Meyshe leapt well.  So he has a case worker
who is supposed to coordinate services with
different government agencies, and provide
guidance to manage Meyshe's adult life.  His case
worker is not a creative man.  He does his job,
but it seems to me that he just plugs the square
pegs into the square holes and looks in his book
for the approved posture on each situation.  He
is not the smartest suit on the rack.  That is as
opposed to all the other experts who have been
acquired along the way while Meyshe's been busy
growing up.

	Some of these people, experts, Meyshe and
I have known since 1993, when he first came to
the school.  There are intimate and solid
relationships with all of them.  We have mutual
respect.  They have saved Meyshe's life.  All are
recommending that the services he is getting from
them be continued after graduation.  But I know
that the Regional Center is an under funded
institution, and they won't authorize high
quality services, just the lowest bid ones.  I'm
a little scared of what will and will not happen
after June.  Maybe by then, there will be a
divorce settlement, and there will be a trust
fund set up for Meyshe and Feyna.  I will be
trying to get by with the limited moneys from the
trust to help Meyshe and Feyna get services.
There won't be any child support any more.

	Meyshe sat through the entire I.E.P. only
complaining about the heat a few times.  He
attended to what was going on, and lapsed into
doodling on napkins for a while, here and there.

	He said, in the middle of the meeting,
"I've come a long way.  And I've got a long way
to go."

ØØØØØØØؐ

111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

Training the Voice

	"You have such a lovely voice."

	That's what they told me.  And I would think, "Where is the, 'BUT'?"

	"You have such a lovely voice, BUT it squeaks."

	"You have such a lovely voice, BUT it's strained."

	"You have such a lovely voice, BUT it's sure annoying."

	"You have such a lovely voice, BUT can you not sing now?"

	"You have such a lovely voice, BUT you're ugly, too."

	All I could do, actually, was carry a
tune.  I was not off key.  That's what I thought.
I wanted a voice that could reach the high notes.
I wanted a voice that could reach the low notes.
I wanted a voice with vibrato that had power to
it and could sing a whole phrase without having
to take a breath.  I wanted one of those voices
that could do anything: arpeggios, great leaps
and bounds, whispering a high C, fading out
slowly without cracking.  I wanted a voice that
left people gasping.

	And I didn't have it.

	Maybe what I wanted was a voice just like
my Grama Fannie's when she sang us to sleep.
Heaven should shine through in a voice.  A voice
should be able to conjure a storm, slake a
thirst, praise a God.

	How was I going to get a voice like that?
Here, I had all these songs I'd written.  No one
else could sing them.  What could I do?  For the
cello, you need training, rigorous daily
practice.  For ballet, you have to be tortured by
a dance instructor who beats you if you fail to
stand on one toe and spin around fifty times
without getting dizzy, who shames you if you're
not anorexic, who whips you into shape.  If you
want to be a beautician, you have to go to school
and pass exams to get a license.  Why did it not
occur to me to get voice training?  Because I
wanted a natural voice, a voice I was born with.
If I wanted a voice like that, I would have to be
born again.

	Finally, at twenty two, I admitted to
myself that if I weren't born that way, I would
have to get voice lessons.  I had no idea what a
voice lesson would be like.  What could a voice
teacher do to train me to be born with a better
voice?  I was married to Dweller at the time.  We
discussed voice lessons.

	"What for?  You have a lovely voice."

	"I want a better voice.  I hate my voice."

	Dweller was a pragmatic human being.  If
he didn't see sound reasons for this silly
escapade, we would have to delegate the money for
toilet paper and dog food, light bulbs, things
that are of some actual use.  The best I could do
to convince him was to beg pitifully, crawl on my
knees, promise to mop the floor.  Flattery would
go nowhere.  Mopping the floor worked.  Then,
absent of any reference to a good instructor, I
opened the yellow pages and found a Mrs. Nicoson
in Oakland.  She sounded humble enough, simple
approach, no opera.

	My first visit to Mrs. Nicoson was a
shock.  She wanted to teach me to breathe.
Jesus, I didn't know I was so fucked up that I
wasn't breathing right.  We did breathing.  I
breathed in and breathed out from my stomach,
from my diaphragm, from the bottom of my lungs.
The idea was to control where the breath was
coming from.  Taking a deep breath meant more
than it had before.  The first lesson, all we did
was breathe.  Mrs. Nicoson was a sweet old white
lady with short chopped golden brown and silver
grey hair.  She was big busted, solid, demure,
soft spoken.  I was a little intimidated.  What
if I let loose with all the force of my
personality?  She might be offended.  Or maybe I
would just flatten her against the back wall.  So
I restrained my impulses.  I lowered my voice.  I
cut back on the passionate reactions and the wise
cracks.  I squelched.

	But I couldn't hide myself away when I
sang my songs.  When I sang, lovely voice or no,
I closed my eyes, drifted far away and released
all of me into the world.  I became unafraid.  So
I suppose Mrs. Nicoson got to know me.  Over the
period of a year, she got some progress out of
me.  I looked forward to my lessons.  I grew to
like her very much.  She was motherly, patient,
stable.  I always knew what to expect from her.
I learned to project my voice, to sing from my
solar plexus, from my nose, from my throat, from
my guts, from my chest, from my ass, from between
my toes.  I could roll the sound around inside my
cavernous body.  So many hollow places to use for
reverberating.  I also remembered to mop the
floor for Dweller.

	Into the second year of training, Mrs.
Nicoson took off a day for some tests at the
hospital.  She hadn't been feeling herself, and
she shook her head.  At my next lesson, she said
the results of the tests had come back.

	"Did you find out what it was?"

	"Oh yes, I certainly did," she answered,
and smiled.  But she didn't tell me.

	Then, the next week she had to cancel my
lesson because she had to go in for surgery.  We
would resume in three weeks.  When we met again,
she told me that the surgery had been a
colostomy.  The diagnosis was colon cancer.  I
didn't know what to say.

	"Are you all right?"

	"No.  I'm going to die, but I'm alive now."

	"I'm sorry.  I'm so sorry."

	"At first, I was ashamed of my colostomy
bag.  But then I went for a dip in the pool at
the hospital rehabilitation center.  While I was
swimming, my body made the most perfect little
bowel movement that arrived in the bag.  I was
very proud of it."

	Now I tiptoed around her.  I tried not to
present her with any dilemmas, any difficult
questions, or certainly any enquiries about her
health.  Part was to spare her having to tell me.
Part was to spare me from having to hear it.  A
month after we'd commenced our lessons again, she
said she had to go back to the hospital.  They
had found something new.  She would call me when
she returned home to teach again.  But I knew she
wouldn't come home again.  It was the expression
on her face.  For the next few months, I told
myself I was going to visit her in the hospital.
But I didn't.  I distracted myself, avoided the
whole issue.  I was afraid of the trauma it would
cause me to see her.  Finally, I braced myself,
and determined that I would visit her.  I called
her husband, Nicolas Nicoson, to tell him I was
going to see her, and to ask for directions.  He
warned me.

	"You may not want to go.  She doesn't
look very good.  She's dying, you know."

	I told him I knew, and I was going
anyway.  The next day, I set out to arrive at ten
o'clock.  I bought a bouquet of flowers.  She was
on the fourth floor.  I followed the instructions
and arrived at the nurses' station.

	"I'm here to see Mrs. Nicoson," I said.

	I got no answer.  The nurse just stood there looking at her charts.

	"I'm sorry," she looked up briefly before
lowering her eyes again.  "Mrs. Nicoson passed
away just an hour ago."

	I stood there with my useless flowers.  I
took them with me on my way out.  What did I do
with them?

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA