TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 214

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat May 5 09:26:44 PDT 2007

May 5, 20000007

Dear Huddled Masses Yearning to Breathe Free,

	Shadowy dreams last night.  Everything
took place inside this enormous house.  Or was it
a hotel?  Or a boarding house?  If it was a
boarding house, it was sure lavish.  Everyone had
his or her own suite, some more splendid than
others.  My quarters were not lavish or splendid.
I was sharing a largish room with countless other
people, people whom I never saw.  They were out
somewhere, engaging in activities organized by
the people who ran the house.  It was something
like a summer camp.  In my room, there were
lockers lined up against the left wall right
inside the door.  They were painted red with a
thick covering slopped on them.  I wanted to
change my clothes, so I found my locker, opened
it, and discovered it was full of someone else's
clothing: pale bold plaid flannel shirts, pleated
short skirts in maroon.  This notified me that
the camp session I'd attended was over and the
new crop of campers had moved in.  But where were
the clothes and supplies that I'd left in my
locker?

	During the most vivid part of the dream,
I was looking for a shower so I could rinse my
hair.  I'd already lathered it up with shampoo
and it was hanging down my back, all foamy and
white.  I opened doors, looked in, no shower, no
tub, not even a sink to use.  But as I got onto
the upper floors, I found a very luxurious suite.
Through a vast, sparkling clean picture window, I
saw a man sitting at a desk, working in the light
of a table lamp that shone a circle of bright
yellow on his work in front of him.  I looked
through the window and watched him.  He finally
looked up, then came to the window.  I couldn't
hear him through the glass, but I could read his
lips as he mouthed, "May I help you?"  I pointed
to the door which was down a few stairs, a marble
entrance way.  He nodded and we both met at the
front door, which was also glass, thick glass
like you might see in a bank protecting the
tellers.  He opened the door and I told him, "I'm
looking for a shower to rinse my hair."  He
smiled and offered his shower which was in his
living room.  It was on a platform raised a
couple of feet off the floor.  There were no
walls around it, no door to enter, just a large
octagonal area, all of marble, with a slight
ridge around the perimeter.  The floor of it was
covered with blankets.  I got onto the platform
and couldn't see how it worked.  It turned out it
was a two person shower.  One showered; the other
held the shower head and operated the controls.
When he was sure I understood, he positioned the
shower head on the top of my skull and turned on
the tap.  I had to move my head around so the
water would get to all of my hair.  The man
smiled, but there was something a little wrong
with his smile.  It seemed forced, as if he were
straining.  But I rinsed my hair anyway, risking
that something bad might or might not happen.
Probably not, I thought.  And I was right.  I
woke up in the middle of the shower, wondering
what that one was about.

                                             UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
                                            ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ
                                           **********************************

Grama Lena

	Grama Lena used to tell us the story
about her courtship and engagement with Grampa
David.  She repeated the part about how David
didn't think he could marry her because she was
too perfect.  But once he caught her telling a
little white lie.  "Then," she would smile, "He
decided I had a tiny flaw and he proposed
marriage to me."

	I wondered about that story, not about
the veracity of it  -  I assumed it was correct
- but about Grama's frequent retelling of it.  It
was her favourite story.  She strove for
perfection and wanted to see herself as perfect.
Of course, these were the qualifications for
perfection of a woman born in 1880 in the old
country, Lithuania.  When Lena was learning about
female perfection, the specifications were
different than they are now.  For an immigrant
Litvak in the Goldeneh Medina, an ideal woman
should be self-sacrificing, hard working, a
supportive, doting, loving wife, intelligent,
industrious, generous, orderly, well spoken, a
gentle mother, free of ulterior motives, free of
wants and desires, always correct.  All
intentions were to be good and directed toward
the care and welfare of others.

	The same would be required of a saint,
and that is the word she sometimes used when she
retold the story about how Grampa David couldn't
see marrying her, a saint, until he caught her in
that infamous tiny white lie.  Grama tried to be
a saint.  But she never quite made it.  Are
saints obsequious, unctuous, shmikeling?  Maybe
they are, but that disqualifies them in my book.

	I was afraid of Grama Lena.  She was old,
too old, slow, and her speech was stilted.  She
spoke properly, giving space between every word.
And she spoke in a soft monotone.  The effect was
creepy.  When I was quite young, I was always
scared she was going to fall on me and die.  I
imagined her stiffening up like a statue riddled
with Osteoporosis, and she'd teeter over, land on
top of me.  I'd be squirming under her rigid
corpse, desperately calling out for help.  Of
course, since she was dead then, there was
something sacred and untouchable about her body,
so no one could move her.  I'd have to lie there
underneath her, until the holy people came to
lift her off of me with their special tools and
incantations.  I'd be scarred for life.  Trapped
under my father's mother for two days while she
decomposed.

	So, even when I was small, I kept my
distance from her.  She was not like my mother's
mother, Grama Fannie, who would hug us and wipe
our noses, brush our hair, kiss us, talk to us,
be with us.  Grama Lena would never lose her
composure, never play with us, never shout at us
to quiet down, never sing to us, never tell us
stories, except the one about the famous little
white lie.  If there were any intimacy, it would
be her disapproval.  She could shame a dictator,
shame a worm.  The tone of her voice was  her
weapon and her methodical speech.

	"Darling, could you please set the table?"

	"I don't want to," the five year old answers honestly.

	"You SHOULD want to set the table."

	We were not subjected to humiliation for
what we did, or didn't do, but what we felt.  I
should want to set the table.  I am a lousy
excuse for a five year old.  There are dozens of
Lena stories.  We would tell them,
confidentially, to those we thought would grasp
the weirdness.

	When my father was a little boy, she was
seated with a number of guests at the dining room
table, when he came into the room with his roller
skates, circling the table.  There was no, "Get
out of here!" or, "Stop that!"  She remained
calm, serene.  She said only, "Justin dear, I
wish you wouldn't do that."  He did that anyway.
And nothing happened.  I used to disassemble
these stories to try to get some clue as to what
made my father such a monster.  But, "Justin
dear, I wish you wouldn't do that," doesn't
explain it.

	After Grampa David died, Grama Lena moved
west to Portland, Oregon, to live with my aunt
Selma, my father's older sister and her family.
Selma actually didn't get along with her mother,
just as my father didn't get along with his
father.  Oedipus and Electra growing up in
Passaic, New Jersey.  But Grama Lena lived there,
helping to care for her grandchildren, my
cousins, Joell and David.  Joell used to tell me
how much she loathed Grama Lena, how full of hate
she was, how vicious, how vindictive.  I couldn't
attribute these characteristics to her.  To me,
she just didn't make sense.  Like her son, she
was surreal.  She was not made of human stuff.
She could not be explained.

	When Joell and David grew up, Selma
convinced Grama that she wanted to go live in
Terwilliger Plaza, an apartment complex reserved
for retired teachers.  She lived there until, in
her early nineties, she started needing more care
than Terwilliger or Selma could give her.  My
parents had her moved down near us to The Home
for Jewish Parents.  That is where she lived out
the rest of her days.  Toward the end, it became
an agony to visit her in the home.  When I came,
she would cry because she was so grateful I'd
come, or cry because she couldn't recognize me.
Either way, it was traumatic for her, and I just
couldn't bear it.  I didn't know what to do for
this weird, suffering creature.  So I stopped
visiting altogether.  Very brave of me.

	One day, I had gone to the Caravansary,
my favourite coffee house.  The manager, Norman
Shea, and I were in love with each other.  I was
sitting up at the counter drinking my coffee when
Norman said he didn't feel well.  I took him out
through the back of the store to rest on a crate
in the alley.  I bent over him, feeling his
forehead, stroking his back.  Then all of a
sudden, I straightened up, ignoring Norman and
his plight.

	"My grandmother just died," I said,
staring ahead of me, focussing on nothing.

	When I got home, my mother informed me
about Lena's death, but I already knew.  I can't
remember if she was buried, scattered, or
simmered in a stew.

	She was ninety six.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro