TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 193

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Mar 30 08:06:02 PDT 2007

March 30, 2000000007

Dear Gathering,

	Feyna tells me she is not going down to
Mexico so she can sit in a bar and get service
even though she's only 20.  She doesn't intend to
get drunk.  I trust her.  That is the last word
about Feyna: I have always been able to trust
her.  Meyshe, too.  They are both fundamentally
and unwaveringly honest.  Loyal, too.  Feyna met
a guy named Shawn on match.com.  They
corresponded feverishly, finding out that they
had so many things in common that they were
nearly spooked.  They decided they must meet.
Feyna had a good feeling about it.  So did Shawn.
They were saying they were meant for each other.
I warned Feyna that e-mail and in the flesh
meetings are two different fish.  She was pretty
sure this was going to work out.  They got
together last Sunday.  They walked around
UCBerkeley campus for two hours, had a bite to
eat together.  Both said that they should
definitely see each other again.  Now she hasn't
heard from him since their meeting, and he
doesn't answer her e-mails.  She's hurt, and a
little bewildered, also angry.  Meyshe listened
to Feyna's story and said that it didn't sound
like Shawn was treating her with respect and he
should be relegated to history.  He was sorry
that she was feeling bad.  Was there something he
could do?  There's your loyalty.

                         dddddddddddddddddddddd
                         
                          ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß

All over the spectrum

	When we lived back east in Silver Spring,
Maryland, I was still young enough that the
summer vacation seemed to go on forever.  There
was plenty of time to lie around, get into small
adventures, live through endless days while the
sun inched its way across the sky.  Plenty of
time to broil my brains and soak them as well, in
the humid heat.  I distinctly remember not caring
that it was hot during the day, but when it
didn't cool off at night, it was unbearable.  I
lay sweating and writhing on top of the sheets,
trying to find a patch of cool cotton somewhere
in the bed where my body hadn't yet warmed it up.
Long long nights in the suffocating wet, hot,
roiling air.

	During the days, I am sure my sister and
I gave my mother more than enough to do, serving
as referee to our constant fighting.  There was
always somebody screaming, and it was usually I.
I with the hollering, "Make her stop!"   I with
the high pitched drawn out, "Nooooooo!  Leave me
aloooooooooone!"  I running after Dana, yelling,
"Give it back to me!"   And I crying over the toy
she'd just broken for my benefit.  I've asked my
mother, and her impressions were the same.  Dana
tortured me on a regular basis.  It was more than
inspired by the understandable jealousy aroused
in the first born against the new little sibling.
It was the way she was born.  She was born
shrieking and kicking, hitting and taking other
people apart.  I just got in the way of her
trajectory.  Dana remembers it differently.  We
were all grown up and living our adult lives when
she insisted that I had been the aggressor.  It
was arresting news, and unexpected, too.  I stood
there with my mouth hanging open, not knowing
what to say.  "I was not!" would have been
puerile, and probably would have started a
pointless argument.  So I just shut up and tried
to keep my eyes from rolling out of their
sockets.  But since I learned as a child to doubt
my perceptions of reality, I took the issue again
to my mother.  I told her what Dana had asserted.
Her mouth flew open, too.  So there you have it:
I was right, and she was wrong.

	To keep us off of each other during the
summer, we were enrolled at Webster-Neal day
camp.  We showed up at 9:00 in the morning and
were let out, exhausted, at 3:00.  They had all
sorts of activities for us.  The grounds of the
camp exceeded the scope of my vision.  There were
grassy rolling hills, shade trees, a building in
which the indoor events took place, an indoor
swimming pool, and a big meeting hall where the
entire camp came together to sing and carry on
joint activities.  We were organized into age
clusters.  Each cluster had a name.  I think mine
was called The Owls.  My sister's was The Eagles.
The girls got bird names and the boys got
mammals.  We sat cross legged on the floor and
were allowed to suggest the names of songs to
sing.  My sister was among the big kids.  Two
years means a whole lot at that age.

	I looked up at Marjory Webster, one of
the directors, as she stood on the raised
platform and told us all what was going to happen
each day.  Marjory Webster was a densely packed
woman with a figure like a rain barrel.  She had
two massive breasts mounted on her chest and they
cast a shadow over her thick waist.  Her hair was
chopped short.  Her voice was deep and booming.
She wore men's slacks, and button down shirts,
socks and clodhopper shoes.  We did not know that
she was a lesbian.  We had no such concept.  The
other half of the equation, Miss Neal, hung
around in Marjory Webster's umbra, a thin,
delicate woman, even bony, with a cute short
hairdo and big, imploring eyes.  We didn't know
that Marjory Webster and Miss Neal were lovers.
We didn't even know what lovers were.  I thought
of Webster as a bull, and Neal as a bird.

	My favourite counselor was a woman whose
name was Butch.  She had a flat top hair cut and
was good at all sports.  She was funny and
outgoing.  I admired her.  I adored her.  I
invited her home for dinner.  She came one night
dressed up in a black knee length tight skirt, a
white starched shirt without sleeves, and two
pearl earrings decorating her ears.  She stood on
medium high heels and wore dark nylon stockings.
There is a photograph of Butch sitting at the
edge of the couch in the living room, her elbow
bent, resting on the arm of the sofa, in her
hand, a smoking cigarette.  She looked so
sophisticated.  As far as I could tell, she was
near perfect.

	In those days, there were no uncloseted
lesbians and homosexuals, except maybe for
Quentin Crisp who blazed that flaming trail for
the rest of the tribe.  Butch was trying to pass
for being accepted by the standard issue women
with their bouffant hairdos, made up faces, high
heels, painted nails and goals to serve a
husband.  I knew there was something different
about Butch, different than the mommies I was
used to, but I didn't know what that was, other
than her being better, more focussed, more
independent, a stronger woman, an inspiration to
me.  I wanted to be just like Butch when I grew
up.  But it turned out I'm not.  I'm my own
unique mix of he and she and in between.  We are
all scattered over the spectrum.  We sparkle in
the lights.

                         dddddddddddddddddddddd
                          ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net