TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 187

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Mar 24 07:28:34 PDT 2007

March 24, 2000000007

Dear Trees,

	Do you have any idea how much 24 lamb
chops weigh?  These are the shoulder chops, the
big ones.  This is what my mother wants for her
birthday dinner tonight.  I went by the meat
market and while I was ordering the gefilte fish
concoction, the beef tongues and the brisket, I
picked up the 24 lamb chops.  Or, rather, one of
the men behind the counter picked it up and put
it in my trunk.  They weigh a lot.  And they cost
a lot, too.  Over a hundred dollars.  I've
planned two chops for everyone, but of course,
there will be those who don't have even one, and
there will be those who eat three or more.
Judging quantity has never been my strong suit.
We will maybe be drowning in lamb chops some time
soon?  And I got the white potatoes, yams and
prunes.  I got the various vegetables to roast:
celery root, beets, turnips, mushrooms and
zucchini.  My brother is bringing the salad.  My
sister is bringing the cake.  This thing will
happen.  No one is bringing wine.  We are not a
wine drinking family, though.  One bottle of wine
for twelve people would be plenty. I shall have
to pick up a bottle of wine for the affair.
Seven o'clock.  Be there.

	The Life Story today is a continuation of
yesterday's, about the can of Feminine Deodorant
Spray my brother, Daniel, and I tampered with and
gave to our mother.

	
                 ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ

	Then Daniel and I turned our attentions
towared each other.  He gave me jumbly uglies,
those soft gooey rubber animals, usually ones
with tentacles or very long arms that can stretch
almost indefinitely.  These are the rubber toys
that, when left on the shelf, collect more dust
and scuzz than seems possible.  Daniel gave me a
pile of these things.  And in return, I gave him
a few pounds of Rocky Mountain Oysters wrapped in
a road map of California.  This went over well,
but of course, it set us up for more.

	He fashioned a drawstring bag and stuffed
a big yam in it, positioned so that if I followed
his step by step instructions, the yam would come
squirting out of the sphincter and hit the soft
couch or cushion I was supposed to hold it over.
That was graphic, maybe too graphic for the other
people in the room.  Then I had to steal myself
away and come up with a present to rival that.
It was the beginning of the ties.  I went out to
a used clothing store and rummaged through the
box of twenty five cent ties, all in a heap and
tangled.  These were ties that had been taken
from the closets of men no longer with us, men
who had tossed out their ancient wide ties,
ancient skinny ties, and ugly ties, too ugly to
wear, which is saying something considering how
ugly ties can get.  I salvaged a tie with a snail
crawling across the widest part of it.  I
salvaged a tie with red fleurs-de-lys  on blue
that eyes could not focus on without the whole
thing vibrating.  I found op art ties.  I found
souvenir ties of various cities.  I found ties so
soiled with grease stains that it was hard to
tell which colour they had originally been.  I
found ties with big hippie daisies all over them,
with obnoxious plaids.  I bought knitted ties
that were shaped like belts with the knitting
coming apart.  I found ties with patterns that
boggled the eye, ties with hula dancers on them,
Hawaiian shirt ties, ties made out of material
that must have come from an upholstered porch
swing, that shiny smooth cotton fabric with the
oversized flowers on it.  In all, I put together
about thirty ties.

	I took one tie and immersed it in salad
dressing in a water proof snap top container.  It
came along with instructions for growing your own
ties from scratch.  The theory, as I presented
it, was that ties were not made; they were
spontaneously generated from salad dressing,
gravy, grease, wine and other staining liquids.
This marinating tie I wrapped carefully,
beautifully, with lovely paper and pretty
ribbons.  Daniel took the ties, lined them on a
lamp shade, and thus gave them all back to me.
We'd used up the ties.

	We moved on to lamps.  Mostly, I gave
Daniel lamps.  He tolerated them.  I'd go to
garage sales, thrift stores, places like St.
Vincent Du Paul, and grab the ugliest lamps I
could find.  One was a swirling mass of
transparent blue glop, shaped as if it had been
extruded from a giant cake decorating tip.  Then
there were circular impressions as if made from
the bottoms of one pound cans, distributed over
the surface.  Below the top layer of transparent
blue was a swirling storm of opaque grey green.
This was spectacular!  And I found at Salvation
Army, the golfer lamp.  It was made of plaster of
Paris.  It was a statue of a cartoonish golfer,
in the process of aiming for the ball with a wide
back swing.  His shirt didn't come down to meet
his pants, so his pot belly ballooned out above
his belt.  His pants were too long and slopped
around his heels.  His shoes were too big.  He
was some form of clown, but meant to serve the
golfer with golf and nothing but golf on his
mind.  It was positively hideous.  These were
added to Daniel's collection.  I found out, once
I started to hunt for them, that ugly lamps are
plentiful and cheap, though some of them are
expensive and ugly, too.  The lamps served my
gift giving compulsion for years.  There was no
ugly lamp that couldn't be topped with an uglier
one.  But finally, we both tired of the lamps.
Maybe they were too ugly.  Maybe they just wore
us out, but I decided to go out in a blaze of
glory.

	I gave Daniel a wooden lamp that was also
a little table.  The post came up through the
round table surface and was topped with a macrame
shade that was too small for the lamp.  It was in
the American Colonial style and it was very very
bad.  I gave the lamp to him along with a
hatchet, and invited him to destroy the gift with
as much verve and joy as he could muster.  It was
much more sturdy than I would have guessed.  I
presented it to him in the front yard of his
house in Menlo Park.  I stood it among the ground
cover.  There were many people present.  Everyone
had at it with the hatchet, but it refused to
die.  Little pieces of it flew off, cracks
appeared in the shaft.  The  decorative struts
encircling the round table halfway up the post
came unglued.  But it took a village to kill this
lamp.

	We have put our gross gift giving to rest
for the time being.  And where did all these
things go?  When you receive a gift like this,
what do you do?  Keep it?  Toss it?  Give it away
to someone else?  Use it, and decorate your house
with laughable grotesqueries?  Stash it away in
the basement under a tarpaulin?  Eventually, all
these things go to landfills, to landfills.

                 ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net