TheBanyanTree: sometimes a great notion

Terri W. siddalee at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 22 22:36:00 PDT 2007

Well, so I had this idea to join my Trader Joe's store crew with Company of Angels theater group and put on a benefit for Adam, my friend and co-worker who was struck by a hit-and-run.Two broken legs, broken ribs, collapsed lung, dislocated jaw, broken nose and serious lacerations.  But he is well on the mend.  Finally.

I have to say, this little Benefit idea has caught on.  If anyone is in LA April 1, stop by the Grand Avenue Club, an old-Hollywood dining and dancing establishment downtown that is hosting the event.  And serving a cash bar and giving us the net profits.  Local bands will be appearing.  On myspace, check out Hearts of Palm UK, one of the groups, very cool.  I'll be reading some of my writing that first appeared here about the night Bill Wingard died.  And two crew members who've never acted before will be reading a comedy of mine called "Luck."  There will be more singers and even some arias.  A silent auction.  $20 donation at the door.  Food food food.  Fun fun fun.  Channel 7 has picked up the story, as has the local public radio station.  I also went to the LA Times and LA Weekly, so I hope they run a story as well.

I've had substantial trouble with TJs corporate, who have never done a benefit or partnered with anyone, so they don't understand the ins and outs of charity gift-giving and 501(c)s and tax deductions.  It's been a pain to explain to them that the theater company is doing us a BIG favor by offering us their tax ID number.  They don't understand why the benefit will cost anything, either.  Why can't we just give all the money to Adam?  Well.  There will be expenses.  I promise.  A PA system, microphones, DI boxes (is what they're called).  If we need extension cords.  Napkins.  Pins.  Markers.  I will have to use some of the money to reimburse ME.  Not a lot.  A hundred or two.  Petty cash.  It is not only about getting as much money as possible to Adam.  It is also about throwing a big party for the community, and giving Adam the NET proceeds.

It will all turn out fine.  Of course.  Another week to not yell at people is all it takes -- my clueless boss, who is already stretching rules to help us, but intercedes only after things have already been done.  I'm beginning to understand the expression "Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

Here's Adam.  He's still in the hospital.  Saturday will be one month since the accident.  Even if he's out by the 1st, the place isn't wheelchair accessible.  Well.  Folks can carry him.  Maybe.

http://www.2ndhandprose.com/images/sp/adambig.jpg

Come bring your shining faces.

Grand Avenue Club
Sunday April 1, 1-6 pm
1024 Grand Avenue @ Olympic
$20 donation at the door
paypal adamsgift at earthlink.net

It's gonna be GREAT fun.  Should I survive.   Hey!  I'm a Producer!

xoxoSidda