TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 182

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Mar 17 09:03:34 PDT 2007

March 17, 200000007

Dear Members of the Inner Circle,

	It is Shabbos.  That's my day of rest.  I
don't take on any work.  In fact, from sundown to
sundown, I don't engage in business.  Last night,
my mother called me to the phone.  The man on the
line called me by my first name, a presumption
actually.  He said, "Hello, my name is Jeffrey.
I'm from the Motorcycle Policeman's Association .
. . "  This was a new one.  I hadn't heard of
them before.  But before I took it to my mind to
go over the reasons not to give them money, and
how to relay the information to poor Jeffrey, I
remembered the trump card.  "Excuse me, this is
Shabbos, and I don't do business on Shabbos."
The guy apologized profusely, said, "Have a good
evening," and hung up.  I should think of some
special appelation for every day of the week and
use it.  "Excuse me, this is Router's Day, and I
don't do business on Router's Day."  "Excuse me,
this is Sacred Monday, and I don't do business on
Sacred Monday."  "Excuse me, this is Organically
Grown Sea Sponges Day, and I don't do business on
Organically Grown Sea Sponges Day."

	The times that I've told a telemarketter
that it was Shabbos and I didn't do business on
Shabbos, have been many.  Almost all of them
recognize the word, "Shabbos," as something to do
with religion, and religion in this country is
holy cow.  "I'm sorry, I can't serve on Jury duty
because I have to be available to my synagogue
for community service on that day."  "I'm
terribly sorry, but I can't take part in the bake
sale, because I belong to the First Glutenless
Church, and I can't partake of baked goods."
"I'm sorry, I can't pay you back, because since I
borrowed the money, the Lord has told me that I'm
not to pay back any loans until the second
coming."  Somehow, I don't think that one would
go over.  "Oh yeah?  Well, here's Toothless Al,
and if you don't pay up, he's gonna rearrange
your face."

	"I'm sorry, you can't rearrange my face
because the Motorcycle Policeman's Association is
waiting outside."

                  ŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠ
                   ½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½

Portrait

	My father was ugly as well as toxic.  The
way he carried himself contributed to his
homeliness, but even without his cowering
posture, hunched over with his head thrust
forward and his poochie abdomen pointing ahead of
him, his darting eyes and constant look of guilt,
even without all that, he would have been
considered ugly as sin.

	He had a round bald spot that emanated
from the epicenter of his scalp, but had a curl
of black and grey hair at the top of his
forehead.  He used a standard regulation comb
over to disguise the blatant fact that he had a
bald spot the size of his skull.  Wheeeeep, and
the bald spot was covered by strands of hair from
the other side of his head, thrown over the nude
expanse of skin like nonpareils on a muffin.  You
can still see the surface of the muffin; the
nonpareils are only ornamental.  Everyone knows
it, but we keep quiet to preserve his ridiculous
vanity that he is still thirty with a full head
of black hair.  Wait.  He was balding
considerably at thirty.  Forget it.  He was
involved in unspoken lies about the condition of
his head.  It was no secret.  He didn't have
hair.  But no one mentioned it.

	As if hair would have made him handsome.
He had a sloping forehead, a large proboscis with
a hump on it, just under the bridge of his nose.
His eyebrows were pointy little things, just as
you would draw eyebrows on a devil were you
assigned the task.  I suppose his forked tail
didn't help.  He dressed accordingly, too.  It
was not random enough to claim that he was colour
blind, or just didn't care.  There was a purpose
in wearing powder blue polyester slacks coming
just above his ankle, and a fire engine red
polyester short sleeved shirt with a button
missing here or there.  Then the socks that were
not quite matched.  Two different shades of dark
brown, or one rust and one red.  It upset my
mother and this must have fueled his fashion
statements.

	He wore a large leather pouch on his
belt.  He kept a note pad, pens and pencils, a
few gadgets and some pills in it.  He wore it so
that his belly pushed it out at an angle to his
body.  One time, at a fourth of July barbecue
that David and I held, my friend Earl was struck
by my father's pouch and said, "My, what an
attractive colostomy bag."  The pants,
themselves, were hoisted up above his waist about
a few inches under his breasts, and the belt was
cinched in tightly so that his flesh pooched out
on either side of the belt.  As he got older, the
pants' waist and belt were cinched in higher.
This seemed to be part of an aging process.  The
belt kept moving higher and higher.  At the point
where the waist of his pants were raised finally
above his head and the belt cinched in like a top
knot, he would be declared dead and you could
dispose of him like a kitchen garbage bag with
string ties.

	He walked purposefully, just a hair
faster than his feet could keep up with, so he
stumbled forward, always rushing, bumping into
things, wounding his environment.  His hips were
very wide, and his squarish ass was big.  When he
was anxious, which was frequently, he ground his
teeth audibly, his jaw rigid, his eyes popped
out.  When he was angry, which was frequently,
his whole face turned dark red, and the veins in
his neck stood out like the cables of a
suspension bridge.

	He was not easy to look at.

	And I didn't.  That was how I survived
his presence.  I just didn't look at him.  When I
spoke to him, I kept my eyes on my hands, or in
my lap.  When I was forced to look at him, I
winced in pain.

	I'd seen pictures of him when he was a
young man, and he stood out from his
contemporaries.  They all looked like young men.
But he looked like an overgrown eight year old,
the buck teeth and awkwardness, the delight in
being crude, in shocking the grown-ups, the
suspicion that he was planning something not
nice.  He had that look in his eyes.

	As he got older, he shrank.  The hump in
his back became more prominent.  He bent over
more, compressing his chest, his stomach and his
abdomen.  That is the portrait of my father, the
man I dreampt about for months after he died.  I
would tell him, "You're finally dead!  Get out of
my dream!" and he wouldn't be able to speak.  I
was aware that the only reason he had appeared in
my dream was that my mother had invited him,
because she couldn't face the fact that he was
dead.  As time went on, he appeared in forms less
and less effectual until finally, he was just a
bust of himself being wheeled around on a
portable serving table.  His bust was mounted on
a plate laid on top of a white tablecloth.

	Eventually, he faded out altogether, and
went away to reside in his coffin in the Jewish
section of the Home of Eternity Cemetery, on a
little grassy slope near the base of a large
shade tree.  No one goes to visit his grave.  No
eternal flame flickers there.  No flowers in a
vase.  No physical tribute to the deceased.

	We try to keep beauty alive.

	My father was an ugly man.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro