TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 175

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Mar 10 08:00:13 PST 2007

March 10, 2000000007

Dear Phoebe,

	On my monitor sits a stuffed, shiny
purple dragon with a puffy red mouth, tongue
flicking out.  She has a big purple ribbon,
bordered with a silver stripe, tied in a bow
around her neck.  This was Feyna's Channukah
present to me.  She kept asking me if I had a
name for it.  I didn't.  It sat on top of my
dresser staring out at the world with its red
tongue, beady eyes and purple bow.  Then one
morning, Feyna brought it in to me at the
computer and smacked it down on top of the
monitor.  She said, firmly, "Okay.  Name the
dragon!"  When pressed, I dipped down into my
family history and came up with the name of my
paternal Grandfather's step mother, Ruchel Bunya
(BOONyah, oo as in foot).  Now I say hello to
Ruchel Bunya every time I sit down at my station.
But it took Feyna getting aggressive for me to
name her.

                              UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
                               uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
                                 ¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼

Eeek, a mouse!

	My brother was in third grade when the
class had a gift exchange.  It was all secret.
You weren't supposed to know who had given you a
present.  You just drew the name from a hat, and
whoever it was, you had to get that person a
present. This probably had something to do with
Christmas;  that seems like a natural fit.  My
brother drew the name of one of the other boys in
his class and my mother took him out to buy a
little gift.  There was a maximum price limit on
it.  But of course there was no minimum, so
technically speaking, you could wrap up a penny
and give it to your intended, or, hell, you could
saw the penny in half and give the lucky someone
half a penny.  Money like that went farther in
those days.

	Daniel set off for the big gift exchange
day with his present under his arm.  When he came
back that afternoon, he was carrying a cage with
a mother mouse and six newborn baby mice in it.
This was truly a white elephant, not a mouse
family.  The story I heard behind the meaning of
a white elephant was that it originated in India.
A white elephant (I suppose that would be an
albino) is sacred.  You cannot use it as a beast
of burden.  It must be cared for, though.  You
can't just abandon your sacred white elephant by
the side of the road hoping some other kind
hearted person would adopt the large pet, feed it
and clean up after it.  It needs to be treated as
the holy beast it is.  I don't know whether that
includes massages every day, or a special diet,
and I don't know whether you can use its dung to
build houses with.  In some sense, that would be
making it work, though I've seen elephants in
process, and they do it effortlessly.

	Now, here's the rule to remember:  If a
Maharajah gives you something as a gift, you
cannot give it to someone else.  You cannot get
rid of it in any way.  You are culture bound to
keep it.  This is one of the powers of a
Maharajah.  He gives you the plaster golfer lamp
with the post coming straight out of the golfer's
head, painted chartreuse, blue and red, and you
have to keep it forever.  You probably can't even
throw it out if it breaks when it accidentally
falls over because the golfer's back swing is top
heavy.  It stays in your house in a place of
honour.  This is a rule.  So, if you got on the
Maharajah's shit list, what he could do is give
you a white elephant.   It is an honour.  Then,
you are stuck with this six ton creature, whom
you cannot put to labour and must feed and be a
slave to forever.

	That is what Daniel brought home with him
that day from school.  He was delighted.  Wow!
Mice!  Real live mice!  But when my mother saw
the mouse family, she said, "Oh no!"  She knew
exactly what was going on in the other kid's
mother's head when she rubbed her hands together
and said, "We can give him the mice!"

	She fumed.  Now what.

	Daniel, of course, wanted to keep them,
and we couldn't flush them all down a toilet.  So
for the time being, he was allowed to shelter
them.  There were hand written instructions on
what to feed them and how frequently to clean out
the cage.  Ever heard the expression, "A rat's
nest"?  The same goes for mice.

	Daniel hovered over the cage watching the
mother mouse and her babies as they suckled and
lay there, wobbled around.  I took a look.  The
babies were so tiny, no bigger than the last
joint of a finger.  Their eyes were like skin
covered ball bearings, buldging out of their
heads.  They were hairless.  The mother looked
exhausted.  She was a milk dispenser.  They are
not terribly brilliant animals and were not
displaying anything particularly interesting.
They were all nervous.  The mother moved in short
jerks and her nose was always twitching.  She
didn't like the upheaval, I'm sure.  One moment,
she was with her human family, the ones she was
used to, the big things that brought the food and
water.  The next moment, she was being carted off
into the unknown, the cage swinging, her whole
habitat in transit, her newborn babies being
tossed around as the cage jolted.  Now, she was
with an entirely new family of different smelling
huge things, all staring at her, making
unfamiliar noises and moving in unfamiliar ways.
The surroundings were different, too.  She was
used to the cage sitting on the floor in a
kitchen, the linoleum stretching out, white on
all sides of the cage.  She watched feet
shuffling around, and the heat from the stove
wafted over to her little house.  The cabinets
were green.  One of the big things hunkered by
the cage and stuck his finger in through the bars
every once in a while.  It was home.  Now, she
was up on a table, high above the floor, the
walls were beige.  There were no cabinets, but a
gaping black hole in the wall out of which a
slight draft swirled.  The humans were sticking
their faces near the cage.  Strange faces, and
more of them.  She and her babies were being
observed constantly  It was a new frightening
world.

	So she did what any normal mother would
do.  She started to eat her babies.

	Daniel was horrified, truly shaken, and
went running to my mother.  I was horrified and
nearly lost my dinner.  My mother came rushing
over to the grizzly scene and gave out another,
"Oh no!" maybe even an, "Oy, gevalt!"  We
couldn't intercede and stop this from happening.
How do you get in between a mother mouse and her
beloved, delicious children without getting badly
bitten?

	My mother questioned Daniel.  He seemed
to know who the culprit was.  So, in the stealth
of night, we carried the caged mouse and her
dining experience back to where she'd come from,
and left the white elephant on the front porch.
No note.  No word.  No doorbell.  No dessert.

	I have never liked pet mice.  There is a reason.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net