TheBanyanTree: Day In The Mountains

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri Mar 2 04:24:22 PST 2007

Florida is flat.  I believe the highest point around here is the  overpass on
I-75.  Coming from another state that has hills and valleys, I  MISS hills,
and longed to drive, walk, and see hills.

So, over a weekend, we got it into our heads to head for the hills.   We
drove to North Georgia and the edge of the Smokies. And, we saw  HILLS!!!!!

My soul rejoiceth!!!

We drove up and down, my passenger screaming at every switchback and  hairpin
curve, every time we crested and, for one instant, saw nothing but  space,
before the descent.  We stopped and walked on land that was a  mountaintop,
looking out over miles and miles of distant peaks.

Ahh-hh-h.

My thought turned to my sister, and I had to laugh. She hates hills, hates
driving through those places with 45 degree climbs and drops. I stood on the
mountain top, a flock, Yes, literally, a flock of cardinals flitting about,
daffodills, planted by who-knows, bursting up through the dead leaves. Canada
geese in their "V" rising from some hidden lake. Five deer rustling through,
stopping to look at us, then walking on. A small stream coming from rock,
trickling down, becoming a tiny waterfall as it splashed to the lower level, and
trickling on.

I wore a jacket, it was cool, but the air was dry and clear.

I spent a day in the mountains, and breathed deep.

Now I am home, on flat ground.  I sit at my computer and look out on a  flat
pasture, adorned with Spanish moss and ancient oaks.  But . . for a  moment, I
think of HILLS.
http://www.aol.com.