TheBanyanTree: Crown Me, Brother (Flip That Cap Over)

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 24 22:07:46 PDT 2007

I talked my son recently into playing me in a game of checkers.

That was no easy task as he is young enough that he was introduced to most
games via a computer and prefers to play games that are computer generated
and have heavy, fast action with lots of graphics.  Card games and board
games, for the most part, move too slow for him and don't have enough action
to keep his attention.

He finally relented and we played a game.  That game took us both longer than
we originally thought.

Our game board was one I purchased this year from a Hobby Lobby store. It was
a nice game board made of wood in the Orient with built in storage for the
checkers. I added four rubber "feet" under it to keep it from getting
scratched when moving it on a table and it served us well.

While playing on it against my son it made me think of playing checkers in
other times and places.

One of them was when I worked in Kenya in the early '90s.  My work associates
loved to play checkers (they referred to them as draughts) and they played it
using a hand drawn board, usually on a piece of wood big enough for the board
grid, or they would paint or scribble one out on a table top, or a tree
stump. For the game pieces they preferred beer bottle caps.  And most of the
time one of those set of caps was from a bottle of *Tusker brand beer.

Those Africans took their checkers seriously and had admiration for anyone
that played a good game.

I can still see them now, the players sitting in high backed chairs, or on 20
liter plastic pails around a stump sawed flat and a checker board grid
painted or carved into the top.

A crowd would form around the players and would study each move carefully,
laughing sometimes and whispering to each other when a player made a big
mistake or made a move they didn't anticipate.  They'd be eating **ugali and
***nyama choma and washing it down with Tusker beer.

In the part of Africa I was in checkers was like a national pastime.  It was
more than a game between two players.  There it was a spectator sport for as
many as could crowd around a table of players and see what was happening on
the board.

My son and I battled hard and played for more than an hour, both measuring
each move and prospective move the best we could.

Finally the game ended when he pinned my last man in a corner.  By that time
he also had me outmanned 3 to one.

I surrendered with mixed emotions.

He had won and enjoyed the game, especially so in that he beat his father in
the game.

That made me happy, especially after all the cajoling it took to get him to
play.

But losing, well, I wasn't thrilled with that.

And  finally, one other one:

thankfulness

thankfulness for being able to spend some time with him that we both enjoyed
from start to finish

and for bringing back a memory of a place and time and some wonderful people
that I had not thought of for quite some time.

* http://tinyurl.com/yw9w7p

** http://www.whats4eats.com/recipes/r_br_ugali.php

*** http://tinyurl.com/27w9g8

  bd