TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 225, continued

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Jun 9 09:15:32 PDT 2007

June 9, 2000007

Dear intrepid few,

	Somehow, 225 wound up being longer than
the average story, so I cut it in half.  Are you
still out there?

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
                                   ‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

Squeeze Me and Art Comes Out (continued)

	By this time, I had met David, husband
number three, and we were courting while I weaned
myself from Glenn Watson, the guy who fucked,
then kicked me out of his loft.  I'd arrive with
my bottle of good imported wine which we would
share, then we'd go up to his loft and make love.
Glenn insisted on fellatio, his preferred method
of sexual communication.  It kind of left me out,
but I'd been tolerating this, as I'd never really
known much better.  I knew to please the man in
question.  The man in question was an artist.  He
was eccentric.  He was talented, smart, had a
lovely voice, sang as he puttered around his
apartment.  He was terrific, if only it weren't
for 90% of his behaviour, his sexual
predilections and his ambiguous feelings toward
me.  If he could just be an entirely different
person, it would be perfect.  Of course, at the
time, I didn't see it that way.  And as the weeks
wore on, I succeeded in demythifying Glenn Watson
and transferring my visions and hallucinations
onto David Nygren, the new man in question.

	When it got serious between David and me,
I arranged to meet Glenn for a goodbye.  David
arranged to see his quasi girlfriend for a
goodbye.  As I explained the new set of alliances
to Glenn, it occurred to me that this might have
a deleterious effect on the plans for my show.
But I said goodbye to him anyway.  After that is
when he'd write me letters, call me on the phone
having consumed a bottle of something red or
white, maybe even mixed.  Sliding around through
his mushy words, he'd ask me why he hadn't
treated me better.  Why had he turned me away?  I
was the best thing to have come along for decades.

	But it was all talk from a safe distance.
I was someone else's now.  The coast was clear.
He swore on his drunken soul that he would make
sure I still got my show.  And the drawings kept
coming out:

	A man floating in the air with hearts for
eyes.  He says, "I love all of humanity; I love
the world, the solar system, the galaxies.  I am
full of love for every creature in creation."  A
woman floating beside him, hearts for eyes, sighs
to him, "Yes, I love you too!"  The man turns on
her, blasts in her face, "I didn't mean YOU!"

	David tried to set up a studio for me in
his garage.  He came up with an elaborate plan.
This had overhead and underhead lighting.  It had
ventilation, central heating, large flat tilted
surfaces on which to accomplish the actual works
of art.  I'm sure if I hadn't stopped him, he
would have put in air conditioning, a telephone,
a sofa to rest on and a little refrigerator for
snacks.  The overhead lighting would have been
secured with the same stuff that holds up
freeways, and he would have ordered special
lighting that reproduced the exact effect of
sunlight with a control that adjusted it to the
hour of the day.  Dial in 5:30, P.M., Pacific
Standard Time, on December 5th, 1984 and the
mechanism he'd invented himself would set the
circuits rolling, the light adjusted to pulsate
at just the right frequency.  All the laws of
physics would be brought into play.

	He would have done this, and more.  But I
told him that all I needed was a light over a
table and an area heater.  I'd do the rest.  This
was not to his liking.  He insisted on doing the
full pinnacle, state of the art design.

	"No no.  All I need is a table, a light,
and an area heater.  I need slap dab, because I
need it now."

	He said he could implement his plan expeditiously.

	"How long will this take?"

	"A few days.  That's all.  It's no trouble.  Really."

	I hated to deny him the pleasure of
pleasing me.  "You're sure.  Just a few days?
Because the show is in less than a month now, and
I need to be working."

	He was glad to do it.  He was a busy
significant other.  He even ducked out at the lab
to put together the studio.  He was wrong about
the few days, though.  A few days didn't even
give him enough time to order the lighting.  He
exerted himself in the garage while I sat on my
hands, itching to go to work.  I couldn't even
see this project taking shape.  I was tableless,
lightless and heatless.  I waited.  Then I waited
impatiently.  Then I started nudging him.

	"Really, David, just a table, a light and
an area heater.  I really need this now."

	He gave me a look so disappointed, so
crestfallen that I relented.  "Oh, go do your
best."  In the meantime, I'll think up another
career.  I'd been known to do that.  I cleared a
place in the bedroom between my music equipment
and my writing supplies.  On the carpeted floor,
I threw down the eternal acid free paper, took
out some pencils, and went at it.

	The garage took three weeks and still was
unfinished.  His generous gift of a studio, his
grand, selfless, noble favour, now annoyed the
hell out of me.  But how could I criticize him
for doing this wonderful thing for me?  He
deserved praise.  And that, too, pinched my
spleen.  I was furious at his plot to save my
world.

	A table.  A light.  An area heater.  He
finally finished enough of his project to make
some of it usable.  It was less than a week
before the show.  I needed at least two dozen
more pieces.  David's magnanimous offering had
screwed me.  He was proud of his ingenious ideas.
They were still ideas, however, and the upcoming
show was real, or whatever was left of real after
my hard work in disassembling reality.

	While all that was going on, there was a
tiny problem brewing at Los Medanos College.
There had been objections to the display of
honest nudity in my works.  You know, it hadn't
even occurred to me as an issue.  These pictures
were so innocuous and innocent.  But the
objections trickled in.  Two camps argued over
the prospective show.  The school newspaper came
to interview me.  I told them that the nudity was
very abstract and it was utterly void of prurient
insinuation, that the figures couldn't be clothed
because they had been metaphorically stripped
bare of social and psychological clothing.  I
told them that no sexual acts were depicted, not
even so much as a kiss.  The ardent student of
journalism who interviewed me took careful notes
and regarded me from a respectful distance,
facilitating his objectivity.  In his eyes, I
could tell he saw me as a star, a dedicated
artist with an important show, and probably the
only controversy to happen in years.  Here he
was, wanting someday to be a Pulitzer prize
winning journalist and this was his first real
story, a story with meat, with ethical and moral
issues complicating it.

	The story about the controversial show
appeared in the college newspaper.  Forced to do
something, the administration held a closed
meeting, without my presence or contribution.  I
still wonder what on earth they spoke about at
that high level, top secret meeting.  Did anyone
there actually argue that a bunch of cartoon
penises and a swarm of pairs of cartoon breasts
would comprise a threat to the well being of the
student body?  Or were there political elements
involved, maybe some moneyed contributor with
phalliophobia?  After their grim meeting about
the penises and breasts, a ruling came down from
the college PTB (Powers That Be) that the show
must go on, but there would be an admonishing
sign outside the gallery explaining the serious
nature of the works, the contextual philosophy of
the works, the maturity necessary to view the
works, maybe a reference to nakedness, a warning
shot across the bow of those with delicate
psychological constitutions.  I was an artist
with a warning label.

	In the weeks before the show, I doubled
up my inspiration and put out a prodigious amount
of work.  I got sloppy.  I got loose.  My
internal editor took a vacation.  I was going to
cover those walls.  The day before the opening,
David and I loaded the car with all the pictures
and headed off to Los Medanos College.  It took
us hours to hang the show.  Big ones, little
ones, tiny ones, huge ones filled up the gallery.
Then, I took my roll of thick archival mural
paper, cut off about ten feet of it and tacked it
on the inside wall to the right of the entrance,
just after you stepped into the room.  I took out
my big black charcoal crayon and drew a bunch of
nude people running around in the background,
then two people in the foreground, one naked, the
other, the only creature in the whole show fully
clothed.  It was a woman with curly dark hair, on
the short side, her back to the viewer.  The
naked person facing her was asking a question.

	"Well, who are you?"

	She answered, "I'm the artist of course".

	I got immense pleasure out of this.  I signed my name.

	At the opening, dozens of people milled
about with glasses of punch in their hands  -  no
alcohol.  This was a college.  Red dots appeared
next to some of the pictures.  Some were being
bought!  This was my claim to professionality.  I
had spent hundreds supplying myself with paper,
with drawing tools, with frames, and spent months
working at it.  The return did not have me
breaking even, but it was a physicality.  It was
the first three hundred dollars I'd ever earned
doing something I loved to do.

	While I was standing about at the
opening, a student approached me, carefully.  He
looked at the pictures on the walls, all these
men and women torturing each other, suffering,
coming to grips with or denying reality,
clattering through life, careening into each
other, knocking each other around, inflicting
themselves on one another.  The student looked at
me and tried to form a question.  It didn't come
out right the first time.  He started again.

	"You been through a lot of pain or something?" he asked.

	I didn't have to think about it.  "I'm
pretty sure I have," I answered.  "But I could
always be wrong."

	The show stayed up for a month.  After
that, the whole show, minus the few sold pieces,
wound up in the garage again.  When we moved,
they moved with us into another garage.  They all
burned up in the 1991 fire in the hills.  I never
took up the naked people again.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA