TheBanyanTree: Update

Pat M ms.pat.martin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 02:23:53 PDT 2007

Hi Folks,

I've been here in China for over two weeks now and am thoroughly enjoying
myself.  I am particularly proud of having kept up with my friends who are
in their twenties when climbing and descending the Great Wall.  I have many
pictures I want to share but am having difficulties and have been
unsuccessful uploading them to date.  I'm having many computer problems
here; more than in Guatemala.  Today it took me 3 hours to access my bank
account to pay my credit card.

Anyway... In addition to the Great Wall, I also visited the Forbidden City,
Tiananman Square and several temples in Beijing.  Beijing is surprisingly
modern and there are many 'green' areas (parks etc.) which make it a much
nicer city than I had imagined.  My friends and I stayed at a youth hostel
for 3 nights and it was a real treat to be able to eat a 'western' breakfast
every morning.

My friends left on the night train from Beijing to Taiyuan city on July 21st
and I stayed one night on my own.  The next day I left for Guilin and
Yangshuo.

While at the airport on my way south, I had a very frightening experience.
Some men dressed as airport representatives demanded to see my ticket and
passport.  They took them from me and told me to follow them to the check-in
counter.  On the way, they lifted my bags and said they were overweight and
that I needed to pay an extra 1000 yuan (about $175)  When I said I didn't
have that much money, they said, "800 then" at which point I realized they
were crooks.  I got my ticket and passport back from them before telling
them I wasn't going to pay and walking away.  A third man working behind an
airline counter was in on it and began shouting at me that I had to pay.  It
may not sound like much but when one is in a foreign country and can't speak
the language... it was scary.  I realized the men had targeted me because I
was a foreigner travelling alone.  At least they didn't get my money and I
did not get injured or arrested.

My flight south was delayed 3 hours and it was a challenge to change
boarding gates 5 times during that time.  None of the announcements were in
English and I was concerned I would somehow miss the flight but it all
worked out in the end.

Now, I just could be in the most beautiful place on earth。  The scenery in
Yangshuo where I am living for the next month is phenomenal!There are
countless karst rock formations which make me feel as if I am living on a
"Star Trek" set.  It is so beautiful that it almost doesn't feel real here.
The other night I sat in a riverside restaurant and watched the fishermen.
It was dark and they shone a bright light in front of their bamboo boats.
There were birds (cormorants) with rings around their necks that dove down
and caught fish (I could see them swimming under the water) but couldn't eat
them because of their 'collar'.  The fishermen filled their baskets and then
removed the rings so the birds could feast.

I am adjusting to the 'squat' toilet in my apartment and am living very
simply.  I have a bed with one sheet and one blanket, a tv that I don't
watch because all programs are in Chinese, the luxury of an air conditioner
and a bathroom with a shower and squat toilet. The humidity and heat is the
most difficult thing to adjust to.  I sweat from morning to night and must
drink several litres of water every day. I eat most of my meals at Owen
College where I have also been volunteering and socializing with the
students.  The food is so different here; I miss western food.
Because Yangshou is a tourist destination, however, it is possible to find
restaurants that serve western food here.  (I took advantage of that this
weekend and had bacon and eggs for breakfast.  What a treat!!) This is
unlike other cities I visited with my friends my first week here where
people have never seen a foreigner.  In those towns, I was treated like a
celebrity and stared at by just about everyone.  Many people asked if they
could have their photo taken with me, as if I was a rare creature.  It felt
quite strange but it didn't bother me too much.

The Chinese people are very hospitable and welcoming, and I have made
friends with several students.  On Friday afternoon, some students and
teachers went to a local river for a barbecue.  It was great to watch the
farmers herding their water buffalo home at the end of the day.  Today we
visited an enormous cave with stalactites and stalagmites.  It took almost
an hour to walk through it.  Absolutely amazing!  I feel very fortunate to
have this opportunity to see this part of the world.

Shopping is very different from in Canada.  Most items are not priced and
the street vendors try to overcharge foreigners by as much as 400 - 500%.
Bargaining is a way of life here and I have become very good at it.

My training doesn't start for another 10 days so I have been taking it
easy.  On Friday, they were short a teacher at a nearby school so I 'filled
in'.  I taught for 3 hours and really enjoyed it.  I have been complimented
many times on my teaching abilities.  The Chinese are desperate for English
teachers and there are many jobs.

Anyone want to join me?

Pat