TheBanyanTree: mower power

Sachet sachet at alltel.net
Mon Jul 2 08:13:21 PDT 2007

I've never quite understood the fascination with yard work. Cutting the
grass has always been a necessary chore frustratingly required in the
summer heat and humidity. Mow it down and within a week it's grown right
back up again. 'Twas not a very rewarding experience. Even when I was
the nudge-ee and not the do-er.

Until Saturday.

We've been in crisis mode for over a month now since my husband was
injured at work. Learning how to do wound care and infusion therapy for
his IV antibiotics was certainly not on my list of things I wanted to
master in life.  But, it is what it is and you do what you have to do.
This means I have a severe case of cabin fever and hiking is not easily
accomplished at the moment. Which is how I ended up out in the backyard,
standing in the shed with the rider mower owner's manual in hand,
figuring out how to change the oil and operate the thing.

Wow.

Now I get it.

It's all about the small thrills. Razor sharp turns are indeed possible.
Finding just the right speed setting is very entertaining. Too slow and
the clippings are too dense and look messy. Too fast and you look very
silly flying around like a speed demon, plus the grass gets a buzz top
cut instead of a nice full trim. Although it can make you giggle
because, who knew a rider mower could go *that* fast?!? But then there
is the overriding compulsion to kick the speed up once in a while
because it's just too dayum much fun not to. <g>

You can actually turn on a dime in reverse. And the safety measures are
relentlessly efficient. Which means you can't reverse with the blades down.

Most important thing that I learned though, is that you don't leave the
seat uncovered in the sun when you walk inside to get a drink.
Definitely won't be doing THAT again.

I *like* the pattern of the yard now. So what if I mowed in circles so
the yard looks swirly instead of the (evidently) masculine preferred
parallel lines pattern?  :-P It was supremely relaxing for me to drive
the rider all over the yard for a few blessedly peaceful hours. I think
I'm gonna take dibs on the rider from now on. No one can talk to you,
phone you, whine or other wise bother you while you are on the rider. It
was pure and utter bliss.  8-)

....Sachet