TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 135

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Jan 29 07:23:17 PST 2007

January 29, 20000000000000000000000000007

Dear Mumbling Humbles,

	We went to the vault yesterday, and
unravelled the mystery of what a vault looks
like.  It was a huge warehouse, about as big as a
Costco, and in designated areas were wooden
crates and wrapped furniture.  The workers had
previously opened the wooden crates (big) and
dragged out the boxes and furniture, spread it
all out over a large area so we could get to
everything.  Still, the boxes were stacked on top
of each other and the labels were not always
facing out.  I went with the list of things we
wanted.  I was primarily looking for the things
that villainman wants that he was squawking
about, threatening to charge me ten thousand
dollars if I didn't come up with them.  The
items, together, are worth a few hundred dollars.
But how do you go through four hundred fifty
boxes to find five tiny hand blown glass cups?
Goofy little things that villainman made himself
when he was taking the glass blowing lessons I
gave him for his birthday once.  I succeeded in
finding almost everything on the list.  The rest,
he can wait for until we move and unpack
everything, piece by piece.

	Meyshe found his Go set, but couldn't
find his night time CDs, the ones of global
ethnic music that he turns on when he's going to
sleep.  And Feyna found much of what she was
looking for, but didn't find her art markers, a
serious set of two ended markers in every shade
of the spectrum, professional artist's tools.
She had been looking in the boxes marked,
"Feyna's room", when in actuality, she'd left the
markers on the floor in the dining room, so they
would have been in a dining room box.  When she
discovered her error, it was five minutes before
we had to be out of there or else be charged for
a third hour.  Five minutes would have meant 170
buzzutz (pronounce that:  bu-ZUTS).  So we had to
toss in the towel and call it a day.  It was
already a day by 11:00 in the morning.  And then
we had the nice workers pack the van, and we
drove back the 40 miles or so home.

	Now I've got these things in the car that
belong to villainman, and I have to drop them off
at my lawyer's office to see that they get
directed to the right villain.  And watch.  He'll
complain loudly that the two wooden bowls that he
made in junior high school, and the brown/purple
glass fish sculpture aren't among the twenty
items I fetched for him.  I crawled, I scrounged,
I scrubbed at it with my bare hands.  I kneeled,
climbed, bent over, and had a hundred or more
boxes opened so we could check for his items.  I
fetched all but three.  I am amazed that we could
find what we did among the myriad boxes.  I
considered it a resounding success.  And three
hundred forty buzzutz later, we will get a
complaint. He might even threaten to charge me
that ten thousand clams (pronounce that: klamz).
It is hard to recognize any shred of humanity
that might be left in him.

‡
‡
‡
‡
‡
‡
‡
‡
‡
‡
‡
‡
‡
‡
‡
‡
‡
‡

ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ×ˆ

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Psychokinesis

	Since I was only in the single digits
I've had a recurring dream that graces my nights
and is also a plague.  It always starts out with
my discovering that I can move things without
touching them.  It is very difficult.  I have to
stare at the object for a long time, and furrow
my brow, concentrate, strain my intensions until
I am exhausted.  And finally, the little object,
something like a salt shaker, wobbles a little
and moves from its position on the table.  I am
elated.  I am proud.  Look what I can do!  I try
it on something else.  A book, maybe.  I glare at
the book, squinting, squeezing my eyes, aiming my
energies.  All I want to do is open the cover of
the book.  Just turn a page or two.  But the book
is resistant and I have to wrestle the angel.
Finally, after a frustrating forever, the cover
of the book opens.  It falters before opening
completely.  I send the cover to the table, lying
flat.  And I work on turning a page.  The page
turns; another page turns.  I am exhausted.  Now,
I am going to try to move a chair across the
floor.  Even a few inches.  This time, with all
the practice I've been getting, it works sooner.
I focus my attentions on the chair, a step stool
in the kitchen, and soon it stutters sideways on
the linoleum, then gains a little speed and winds
up on the other side of the room.  I am
delighted.  I feel powerful, able to change
things, direct my life and random objects.

	Still, what does it matter that I can
move a chair across a room by devoting every
ounce of energy to the task?  So a chair moves.
Is the world a better place?  I set my sights on
a window.  I am going to open the window.  Just
push the window up and invite in the fresh air.
Maybe it's even a tough window to open.  It gets
stuck a lot.  I send my thoughts out to it like a
wish, no more than a wish.  And it opens easily.
I am learning this.  I am getting stronger.  So I
look around and select something heavy, a car
outside, parked on the street.  I stare at it,
and it lifts straight up off the asphalt a few
inches.  I lift it up and then I set it down,
gently.  Perfect control.  I move on to a house.
I try a house.  I jack up the corner of the house
with my mind.  Then I let it down again.  A few
inches off the ground, an entire house.  Pretty
soon, I am able to move whatever I want to move
in any direction as far as I want.  I am sending
buildings flying across the street to empty lots.
I can go into a grocery store, open bags, then
send all my groceries hurtling through the air to
land in them.  I will the bags into the back of
my car.  I sit in the front seat and don't bother
with the keys and the engine.  I just propel the
car forward, sailing a few inches above the black
top, guiding us home.

	Now I can move things without even
concentrating on them.  All I have to do is give
a glance in the general direction and furniture
flies from one end of the house to another, lamps
and tables sail through the air.  Refrigerators
glide over the floor.  I can send myself sailing
upstairs and lie on my bed as it is suspended in
mid air.  Nothing is too big.  By raising my
eyebrow, I uproot trees, change the course of
rivers, send whole cities from south east to
northwest a mile or two.  What does it matter?  I
can do anything.

	But it becomes too easy.  I have to be
careful of my thoughts because the slightest
inkling will bring walls crumpling, or wreck my
own possessions, hurl a house against an office
building, uproot trees.  Then things come flying
at me: books, furniture, unhinged doors, knives,
claw foot bath tubs.  Ceilings cave in on me.  My
thoughts are dangerous.  My whims are alive and
catastrophic.  I cannot stop them.

	This is how the dream ends, with me
flying from my own frightening power run amok,
out of control, turned mean on me.  I wake up
screaming.

‡
‡
‡